PDA

View Full Version : Unusual WSOP super-sat final table play: as bad as everyone says?

youtalkfunny
05-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm at the final table of the $33(r) Stars WSOP sat. Two seats will be awarded, insignificant cash prize for third.

I arrive at the final table as the short stack. I haven't played a hand in an hour, and after holding an above-average stack or better the entire tourney, I'm now being grinded into dust. I didn't tighten up because we were close. I just got a steady diet of 93 and J2. Those few times I got A5 or KT, I'd steal raise, get re-raised, and have to give it up.

First hand at the final table, I steal-raise with KT, SB sets me in, he has AK, I get lucky, and double.

Now I've got about 90k (blinds are about 4k-8k). I'm still shortstacked. Average stack is about 150k, with a couple 200k stacks, and a 300k stack.

Another half-hour goes by, and I can't play a single hand. I'm anted-away to about 50k.

I put in my BB, 12k. There are 7 left, and I'm in 7th. It seems like everybody has at least 180k.

An aggressive player (they're ALL aggressive players at this point!) raises my blind for the 4th time in a row. I've given it up every time so far.

I've got 64s.

I re-raise all-in.

Hey, I've got 1/4 of my stack out there, and I don't want to try to come back from 36k against these 200k stacks! If he's got two big cards (where I put him), I'm only a 60-40 dog! LET'S GAMBLE!

Thoughts?

(Results: He had 55. I actually had the lead on the turn, when the board showed 77KK, but a 5 hit the river, and I was done. The chatbox exploded, where it was decided unanimously that it was the worst play they ever saw.)

GuidoSarducci
05-03-2004, 12:55 PM
I never leave chat on. I have yet to find anything constructive being said in in-game chat...

I do have to say, though, all in with 64s when you're not dead yet isn't exactly what I'd call a steller call. You weren't dead yet...

Remember, chip and a chair!

youtalkfunny
05-03-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You weren't dead yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was dead, I just wasn't lying down. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
05-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Worst play they ever saw? No chance. Too many really horrible plays out there for this to be the worst.

Was it a bad play? Yes. If he had mini-raised, then you could've called preflop, and bet any and every flop. Because in this fact pattern you can bet enough and at a time where he reasonably might fold. By raising preflop, you guaranteed a call, and it's a call by a hand that is beating you about 98% of the time.

You would've been MUCH better off to have raised all-in UTG in the prior hand.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

youtalkfunny
05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
That's probably the best advice I've ever received in a post.

Thanks, Greg.

youtalkfunny
05-04-2004, 03:04 AM
I just looked at the hand history.

Funny how we tend to remember "facts" to make us look better.

I had 60k (not 50k), the blinds were only 3k-6k (not close to 6k-12k), and the initial raise was enough to set me all-in.

Man, I made a horrible play!

I guess that:

--his huge raise screamed weakness to me;

--I was tired!

--I was panicky, because I was falling behind, and didn't want to fall further behind.

Same thing happened a few months ago, in a WPT super-sat. I got real close, then started stumbling, and didn't want to be a short stack, so I risked going broke, just to return to the comfort zone of having a big stack.

I've got to work on that.

Tonight's results? 402 players, top 45 get paid, I bust out in 56th.

Same thing. "Give me a big stack, or give me death!" I've got to learn how to play a small stack.