PDA

View Full Version : Set of Aces... check on river. Don't Kill me.

BusterStacks
05-03-2004, 01:32 AM
I had my opponent on a semi-bluff on the flop. Am I insane?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: BusterStacks is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">BusterStacks raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BusterStacks raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BusterStacks caps</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">BusterStacks bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (14.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, BusterStacks calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 3c 4s (high card, ace).
BusterStacks shows Ad As (three of a kind, aces).
CO shows Ks 2h (two pair, kings and twos).
Outcome: BusterStacks wins 17.75 BB. </font>

sfer
05-03-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure what to say about this hand except you should try to play with these two clowns every chance you get.

I like UTG+1. I guess it's the only way he can win, but does he really think you're going to fold for 1 bet on the river when all you've done is show strength? If it was live and he had a sense of humor, I hope he'd flip his cards and say something like, "I have the nut low."

BusterStacks
05-03-2004, 02:16 AM
yeah you should have seen this guy. He was giving away money left and right. Unfortunately I got rockets early in my session and I didn't know he was such a maniac. But how bad do you think my post flop play is and how can I relate this to other hands besides this rare one?

sfer
05-03-2004, 02:20 AM
Your play is fine. If you were thinking about folding on the river don't tell anyone. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

If it's raised/reraised to you on the river then you can release your hand.

BusterStacks
05-03-2004, 02:51 AM
Well, I wasn't thinking of folding, I'm not releasing a set of aces to a 3-flush on the river for anything. Just you know, in retrospect it seems like I lost a semi-easy bet, and I want to hear that it wasn't a bad play.

MicroBob
05-03-2004, 03:34 AM
maybe i'm weak-tight...but i would probably just call here also....and would assume there is a good chance i am beat.

here's how i look at it -
if you are winning here there's still a decent chance that raising or calling will make the same amount for you (CO folds and UTG+1 calls).

since raising runs the risk of a re-raise if/when you are behind it sure looks like a call on the river is okay to me.

wil be curious to see if others find my logic to be...well, umm....illogical.

bakku
05-03-2004, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and I want to hear that it wasn't a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a bad play. Happy? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chief444
05-03-2004, 10:23 AM
If UTG+1 was a decent player he certainly would have played a flush exactly as he did. So I think calling the river is fine without any read.

UTG+1 is obviously not a decent player. CO may be worse yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

StellarWind
05-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Playing with real cards we could all have a good laugh at the expense of UTG+1 who thought both his black cards were clubs. Online I'd say that his play is not as bad as it looks. He overplayed the semibluff on the flop but sometimes such plays produce spectacular results. How would you feel about having KK after he 3-bets? He has the odds to chase on the turn and the river bluff is not a bad effort.

Raising the river would be terrible:

1) Usually UTG+1 has a flush and you lose an extra bet.

2) When you are right you will often gain nothing or even lose a bet. Do you really expect the bluffer with the busted gutshot to call your raise? Meanwhile the raise will often knock out CO, costing you a bet you could have won without risk.

Always consider the possibility of overcalls before raising the river. It is usually better to get risk-free bets from the players behind you instead of raising and risking both an extra BB and a possible reraise.

Besides, how do you know CO doesn't have the flush?

DoctorDrew
05-03-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 is obviously not a decent player.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

[ QUOTE ]
CO may be worse yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, you gotta love these people. That pair of twos looks good. I better coldcall these 2 bets eventhough I won't close the action. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thirddan
05-03-2004, 04:52 PM