PDA

View Full Version : Party 10+1 Hand

NotReady
05-03-2004, 12:48 AM
I haven't played many S&G's, just trying them for fun. Please comment on this hand, good,bad or ugly?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

Button (t2385)
Hero(SB) (t1215)
BB (t2770)
UTG (t1630)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Button raises to t400, Hero raises to t1215 (All-In), BB folds, Button calls t815.

Results: <font color="white"> Board double paired, he had Kc9h, his K wins. </font>

t_perkin
05-03-2004, 07:39 AM
If you think you are the best player at the table by a reasonable margin then you should probably fold.

You should be able to scrape into the money here against a poor field in a 10+1.

But your play is not terrible, you are the fav. and there is a good chance that he is trying to bully.

Tim

Chief911
05-03-2004, 08:28 AM
The only part that makes it tough was a raise in front of you. That said, you went into the flop with a pair (albeit low). But when you are the smaller stack, I think you push with this most of the time. The only thing that makes it iffy is the raise in front of you. When I get into 4 handed bubble play, I'm VERY wary of entering a raised pot, and even less so if I have a small pair that very well is going to be dominated by a higher pocket pair.

I'll see ya at the tables. Doing a lot of 10/1 sng's right now, and having fun.

NotReady
05-03-2004, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to scrape into the money here against a poor field in a 10+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a better table than typical, and I had been the leader by a few hundred, so was beginning to fade. I thought I could sneak in, but also didn't expect a call from the normal steal hand.

What is the best move here, call or fold? One reason I pushed was I didn't like either choice.

Chief911
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Even though there is a good chance he is trying to bully, sometimes you just have to let yourself be bullied until you are in the $$. I find myself having to check my ego at the door when it gets to 4 or 5 players, because more times than not the proper play is to fold a hand that screams PLAY ME just because I think with these SNG's, its much easier to let someone else make a mistake first. Not to say you should get blinded to dead. But when the Button Big Stack raises you in the small blind unless he's a maniac, I'm folding 90% of the time.

But like I said, I'm far from an expert, so take that for what you will. That and I'm on a streak of 7 games out of the money, oh the agony!

Chief911

t_perkin
05-03-2004, 09:26 AM
If you know that he will call your PF allin, you could flat call PF instead and push on the flop regardless. This can sometimes be quite a powerful move to make in the blinds when you are shortish on chips but not dead in the water.

Pushing in is not that bad though, especially if you feel that the rest of the players are as good as you. Taking a PP in against overcards is a perfectly respectable play.

But folding is not terrible either, esp. in a lower buyin.

Based on what you have said I would not push in. But then I feel confident that I can out play most players in a $10+1. But I could easily play differently with some sort of a read on the raiser.

Tim

NotReady
05-03-2004, 10:00 AM
I didn't want to call here because BB might call or try a re-steal himself. If this was blind vs. blind I would probably call, but I wanted to knock out BB.

I would normally fold this because I can usually count on someone making a mistake, putting me in the money, but the other players didn't seem to be making the usual bad plays, so I felt I needed to take a shot while I could still put his stack in jeopardy - kinda surpised he called, so I guess I was giving him more credit than I should have.

NotReady
05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I agree, I've found it's very easy to let them knock each other out. Though I'm not new to poker or tourneys, SnG's are a new game for me. I've only played about 20, and am running very hot, even though I know I'm making a few mistakes and just beginning to "get it".

As for streaks, don't get me started. We all have them, they're just the dues you pay to collect later on. The good part about them is knowing they will end soon - anticipation.