PDA

View Full Version : A hand to show the difference between Party and Stars

NotMitch
05-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Second hand of a Stars $10+1, all stacks near T1500, blinds 10/20. I'm UTG+1 with J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif and raise to T80, called by MP1 and raised to T180 by MP2. I reraised to T350, MP1 flat called again, and MP2 reraised all in. I pretended to think for a while and folded. MP1 thought for a long time and folded. MP2 showed QQ.

I'm not sure I like how I played this hand, but I dont think I like any of my other options. Do you make the third raise or just call? I think its an easy fold when he goes all in, but putting in the last raise does give you a level of control in the hand.

Calling is certainly an option but I don't like the idea playing JJ against 2 players when both of them have position. I dont think there are many flops that don't have a jack that I really like. Folding to the MP2 raise seems too weak. Ideas?

PS What the hell did MP1 have?

Pitcher
05-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi NotMitch,

How is this an example of the difference between Party and Stars. I would fold this hand on either site..... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree that Party tends to be looser, and generally weaker, but this is not a good example.

If MP1 doesn't have at least JJ (unlikely) QQ (unlikely) or AK, I would be shocked. I am pretty sure he would have called with KK....but that is also a possibility.

Pitcher

NotMitch
05-02-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi NotMitch,

How is this an example of the difference between Party and Stars. I would fold this hand on either site..... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree that Party tends to be looser, and generally weaker, but this is not a good example.

If MP1 doesn't have at least JJ (unlikely) QQ (unlikely) or AK, I would be shocked. I am pretty sure he would have called with KK....but that is also a possibility.

Pitcher

[/ QUOTE ]

Because at Party the stacks are way too small to make a raise and a reraise and a fold to an all in all before the flop. It is a very different game with the bigger stacks. And FWIW at the $10+1 level at Party I cant get my money in fast enough with JJ preflop. You will get calls from 33 and A2o way too often to fold it.

Pitcher
05-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Hi NotMitch,

Yea, I see your point. Having more chips certainly allows for more options.

That said, I doubt anyone sane would call two re-raises (assuming the chips allowed it) with JJ...

Also, I would be tempted to push with JJ on PP in a $10 tourney. I am not sure I would do that at Stars.

Pitcher

NotMitch
05-03-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi NotMitch,

Yea, I see your point. Having more chips certainly allows for more options.

That said, I doubt anyone sane would call two re-raises (assuming the chips allowed it) with JJ...

Also, I would be tempted to push with JJ on PP in a $10 tourney. I am not sure I would do that at Stars.

Pitcher

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes my laydown was very easy, still not sure if its better to reraise or call in that situation. I still have no idea what MP1 had but I strongly doubt it was ahead of JJ.