PDA

View Full Version : Playing Policeman

06-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Online 3/6. Table has gotten very tight and a player I rate very good has won 3 hands in a row without a showdown. He open raises again from EP. I have 44 in late position and decide to make a stand. I raise. I think if I'm going to do this that raising is better than calling. It works and we are heads up to the flop.

*** FLOP *** : [ 6d Kh Ks ]

When you make stupid plays like this of course now the fun begins. I made an assumption preflop that I was ahead. Based on that, I think the chances are very good that I'm still ahead. He checks and I bet. He calls.

*** TURN *** : [ 6d Kh Ks ] [ 2h ]

This can't help him. He checks. I wimp out and check behind him. If I'm ahead I'm giving him a free card. But i wasn't prepared to face a check-raise. Now I think I'll just call his river bet.

*** RIVER *** : [ 6d Kh Ks 2h ] [ 4h ]

WOW. Some nights you can't do anything wrong. He bets and I raise. He calls. He had TT.

I think if I'm going to make a stand I need to follow through on it and keep betting until he slows me down.

How bad was this play?

06-19-2002, 02:02 PM
I don't think this is too bad of a play. He has been winning a lot so maybe his standards are lower for raising pre-flop. However, EP raises are more likely to be pkt pairs than LP raises. Which means 2 things -- You are probably behind on the flop, but he probably thinks he is behind.

I would probably bet the turn -- but only if I knew he would not make a play at me with a C-R. The problem with checking the turn is that he will bet *anything* on the river -- if that 4 had not hit would you still call?

I would continue representing AK until he shows he is not afraid of that. Though, I'm not sure what I'd do on the turn if he C-Rs.

06-19-2002, 03:18 PM
A few comments...

Preflop, I assume you don't do this very often so no big deal. Just realize that you are a small favorite to overcards, and a big underdog to a bigger pair. If you misplay your hand in these situations it will only end up costing you money.

Also, I see no reason to take a stand against a guy who wins a few hands. Its not personal, there are 8 other players at the table. Don't let your ego get involved.

General tactics with a small pair: Bet the turn, free cards are very dangerous, and you don't want to give a free card to overcards that he would fold to a bet on the turn. Fold to a raise, it's very easy to get away from this weak hand. Check the river unless a Four hits.

If this guy is the type of player to check/raise you on the turn with NO PAIR, then you shouldn't be three-betting him preflop with 44. Otherwise it's an easy muck when he checkraises you.

06-19-2002, 04:54 PM
I think it depends a bit on your opponent. If he is likely to check-raise you on the turn without a K you might as well check. Many players will fold to the turn bet, not believing you on the flop, but believing you for a big bet.

Here he raised early which typically means AK, AQ, TT-AA. So it is a little more than 2-1 that he is ahead here, but there are 4 big bets in the pot which means you are getting a decent price to bet and hope he folds an AQ. You can't do this though if will check-raise often enough to kill your odds (assuming you would fold every time to the check-raise).

Regards,

Paul Talbot