PDA

View Full Version : Two big stacks move in...

FreakToe
05-02-2004, 05:42 PM
I was not involved in this hand but find the play very interesting by both opponents.

I am a tight player (almost certainly weak-tight) and can't imagine playing these hands the way they were played. Both players have nice stacks so I assume, maybe incorrectly, they might know what they are doing.

I typically take a more cautious approach but then again I could write a book on "How to break even at online poker".

I have written my thoughts on how they played and why I think they played it the way they did. I would like to hear comments on both their play and my comments on their play to see if I am thinking about poker correctly.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($105.90)
Hero ($37.50)
MP1 ($50)
MP2 ($44)
CO ($252.30)
Button ($67.90)
SB ($50.70)
BB ($195.07)

Preflop: BB has 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif,3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif CO has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif,Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Hero folds, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $10</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $8.

My Comments: Obviously the BB is trying to buy the pot. I would NEVER make this type of bluff. On the rare occasion I bluff I am in LP with a few callers and an unraised pot. Is a bluff here a good idea? Also, what do you think of the amount? It seems a tad high to me but I guess you want the guy out of the hand. As for calling this $8 raise with AQo...NO WAY. If my Q hits I worry about KK or AA. If my A hits I worry about AK. Nuff said.

Flop: ($21.50) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, CO checks.

My Comments: BB flops his set and checks on the uncoordinated board. This is routine for me as well. CO hits TPTK and checks...is he slowplaying or scared of Aces or Kings? If the later, why play AQo to such a big raise?

Turn: ($21.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, CO calls $15.

My Comments: I might have only bet half the pot here to get more value thinking $15 might scare him off. CO smooth calls the bet? Who makes this call, who raises, and who folds?

River: ($51.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $170.07 (All-In)</font>, CO calls $160.07.

My Comments: Yikes. CO has now made two pair. BB checks pretending to be leary of the ace. CO makes a "value bet" of $10. BB goes all in for almost 3x the pot. Would anyone else raise this much? Is it a case of "you will only get called by a better hand"? Without a read on your opponents, do you think more money is made in the long run by making a smaller raise or in pushing all in like this and risking either being beat by a better hand or by not getting called at all. And who calls this with two pair?

Final Pot: $391.64
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $391.64, between CO and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB ($391.64).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 3s 3d (three of a kind, threes).
CO shows Ah Qc (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: BB wins $391.64. </font>