PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river... or classic weak-tight?

JerseyTom
05-02-2004, 04:23 PM
First hand at the table.
Button is a known maniac (which is why I chose this table and this seat); any two will do, will cap every street with the likes of 2nd pair no kicker and show down crap like 4th pair.

Now that I look at it again, if I'm willing to cap the turn, then I should definitely bet the river. If I'm beat, I was beat on the turn. Thoughts? In retrospect, I think the turn cap is a bit dodgy...

Pacific Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold 'Em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: JerseyTom is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, JerseyTom checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, JerseyTom checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, JerseyTom calls, MP1 calls.

C/R here since Button will bet anything. To my delight, MP1 bets out and Button raises. My 3-bet knocks out 2 more.

Turn: (10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
JerseyTom checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">JerseyTom caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls.

C/R here in an attempt to shake MP1. No go... He calls 2 cold not once, but twice!

River: (22 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
JerseyTom checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

I have to bet this, no?

Final Pot: (22 BB)

Results in white below:
<font color="white">
JerseyTom shows Kc Qh (one pair, kings)
MP1 mucks ?? ?? (hand histories not available at Pacific)
Button mucks ?? ?? (hand histories not available at Pacific)

JerseyTom wins 22 BB.
</font>

sublime
05-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Heads up with button? Yes you do. With MP1 in there (and I will assume you have no read) checking is fine. The KT two pair is a possibilty and player may be passive enough to allow you two to do all his betting for him.

My river play is not great though and other opnions may be more correct....:)

mikeyKay
05-02-2004, 06:08 PM
man, i dont know, i must be real weak tight, because i dont know if i would cap the turn...at that point im thinking set or 2 pair...is capping the right play there?
-mike

JerseyTom
05-02-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man, i dont know, i must be real weak tight, because i dont know if i would cap the turn...at that point im thinking set or 2 pair...is capping the right play there?
-mike

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, no, I don't think capping the turn is the "right" play here.

But... I know that the Buton is maniac; I actually don't give him credit for a K since I have seen him raise preflop (in other sessions) with the likes of Kxs and he damn sure would have raised with KT. I'm thinking he has a T and for all I know he could have turned his way to two-pair and I rivered him.

MP1 had me more concerned this hand. Since he bet out the flop and then check-called the rest of the flop and the turn, I'm putting him on a weaker K and hoping he doesn't river his kicker, which I'm fairly sure (now, removed from the heat of battle) he hasn't done when the 3 pairs, which is why I think I could have bet the river for value.

Against, "normal" opponents I'd play the flop the same, bet out the turn (not C/R) and switch into check-call mode if raised on the turn... Does anyone like the sound of that?