PDA

View Full Version : Avoidable Mistake

tlop
05-02-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm playing 20/40 at a local N. Cal Club. All the players in the game appeared to have read Hellmuth's book.

I'm in the SB. 5 callers to me. I complete with K8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

7 of us see the flop of 788 rainbow. I check. BB bets. Two callers. I checkraise. Well, now here is the problem. I didn't realize the player to my right had cards and I acted out of turn. Realizing my next move, he folds.

The dealer informs me that because my acting out of turn caused the player behind me to change his course of play, I now could not raise, but only check! The rule seemed so strange, I couldn't believe the dealer would have just made it up, so I went with it. (I can't stand the treatment the dealers in general receive and am overly nice whenever possible.)

I bet out on the turn and and river and won the hand.

Of course, as I sat there after the hand, I just couldn't believe a rule such as that existed. I decided to ask a floorman. Unfortunately, the dealer had confused the rule.

From now on, I will call the floor whenever in doubt. If there is anyone else out there as dumb as me, I encourage you to do the same.

On a sidenote, the game was unbelievable. A couple of 100% floppers combined with a couple of reraisers. Of course, I got killed.

Much love,

Tlop

The Dude
05-02-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All the players in the game appeared to have read Hellmuth's book... the game was unbelievable. A couple of 100% floppers combined with a couple of reraisers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, I have not read Hellmuth's book, nor do I intend to. But for some reason I doubt the described players are the product of Hellmuth's teachings.

Nightwish
05-02-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the players in the game appeared to have read Hellmuth's book... the game was unbelievable. A couple of 100% floppers combined with a couple of reraisers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, I have not read Hellmuth's book, nor do I intend to. But for some reason I doubt the described players are the product of Hellmuth's teachings.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't read his book either, but I've seen him play on UB. He plays 77 like it's the nuts, regardless of what's on the board. He may be a good NL player, but from what I've seen, he's semi-maniacal at limit.

The Dude
05-02-2004, 05:41 PM
So, you're saying I should buy multiple copies of this book and and give them away to my opponents at the card room!

astroglide
05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
shitty situation, but i think calling the floor could cost you money because you would quite clearly be attempting to exact as much money as possible out of your opponents