PDA

View Full Version : Negreanu's rebuys

eastbay
05-02-2004, 12:11 PM
http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result8715.htm#report

"The elimination of one player from the final table was significant for one bizarre reason. Chip-leader DANIEL NEGREANU had reportedly made 27 re-buys in this event (essentially investing $28,000 in himself to win), which meant that the two-time bracelet winner would need at least an 8th-place finish to ensure a profit. With STAHL’s departure, now NEGREANU would be guaranteed a profit."

Can anyone corroborate this? It sounds idiotic to me, but what do I know.

eastbay

slamdunkpro
05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chip-leader DANIEL NEGREANU had reportedly made 27 re-buys in this event (essentially investing $28,000 in himself to win), which meant that the two-time bracelet winner would need at least an 8th-place finish to ensure a profit. With STAHL’s departure, now NEGREANU would be guaranteed a profit."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he did - Phil Ivey was right there with him with I think a total of 23. This was a truly sad display of "money talks".

They should either dump this event or use a "Baltimore" rebuy system. If you start with 1000 chips, you can only reload if you fall below 500 (50%) and, if you bust down to zero chips - you are eliminated

eastbay
05-02-2004, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chip-leader DANIEL NEGREANU had reportedly made 27 re-buys in this event (essentially investing $28,000 in himself to win), which meant that the two-time bracelet winner would need at least an 8th-place finish to ensure a profit. With STAHL’s departure, now NEGREANU would be guaranteed a profit."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he did - Phil Ivey was right there with him with I think a total of 23. This was a truly sad display of "money talks".

They should either dump this event or use a "Baltimore" rebuy system. If you start with 1000 chips, you can only reload if you fall below 500 (50%) and, if you bust down to zero chips - you are eliminated

[/ QUOTE ]

When I hear "re-buy" I think that you can re-buy if you bust. Are you saying in this event, you basically just pick your number of buy-ins, with no limits? That sounds bizarre, and, well, incredibly stupid.

eastbay

benfranklin
05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I hear "re-buy" I think that you can re-buy if you bust. Are you saying in this event, you basically just pick your number of buy-ins, with no limits? That sounds bizarre, and, well, incredibly stupid.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

This report http://www.thepokerforum.com/wsop047.htm
shows 538 entries, 534 rebuys, and 262 add-ons. I don't know exactly what the rebuy rules for WSOP events are, but I know the rebuy period for this one was the first two hours. I think the general rule for rebuy tournaments is that you can rebuy any time within the rebuy period if you have fewer chips than the initial buy-in, and you can buy the add-on at the end of the period no matter how many chips you have. Negreanu ended up doing OK, winning $100K for his $28K investment, but I can't imagine that it was a +EV proposition.

toots
05-02-2004, 04:02 PM
During one of the Costa Rica WPT tournament events, I seem to remember them talking about Negreanu buying a lot of either rebuys or add-ons. Can't remember if it was this season or last season, but it seems like a pattern: if there are rebuys or add-ons to be bought, he ain't shy about buying.

Kevmath
05-02-2004, 05:15 PM
It definitely was from last season, as there is no event in Costa Rica on the WPT tour. Also it was a $500/rebuys event, and if I remember right both he and Scotty Nguyen rebought at least a dozen times during the period.

Kevin...

Blindfolk
05-02-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
During one of the Costa Rica WPT tournament events, I seem to remember them talking about Negreanu buying a lot of either rebuys or add-ons. Can't remember if it was this season or last season, but it seems like a pattern: if there are rebuys or add-ons to be bought, he ain't shy about buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/cparticles_archives.php?id=00052

That's his account of the story. Does Negreanu know when to walk away?

Tosh
05-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Just messing about it seems (http://www.liveactionpoker.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=409589a401e8ffff;act=ST;f=22;t=839 ;st=0)

Josh W
05-02-2004, 10:49 PM
In Costa Rica Tournies, they are often set up to rebuy many times. They'll have a 100K prize pool built on $10 buyin / $10 rebuy tournies. No kidding.

But a rebuy gets you very few chips (like, 1 big blind), and you can rebuy (when you bust) many times (like 10x or 30x or something).

After they broke down to the final table in the mentioned WSOP event, I was standing next to Daniel. Somebody asked him if he really rebought 27 times. He said "I'd be a bloody fool to rebuy that many times.....I rebought 26 times".

It's actually a fairly reasonable strategy. If you are at a table that won't break for a long while, with mediocre competition, you just put a ton of chips on the table, then win them all. This will get you to the final table with a huge stack (which he had).

There were also sidebets going into the tourny as to who would do more. I don't know if Daniel was party to these, but I know of one huge bet that took place between two other name players. One guy took (Daniel + Ivey), and gave the other person any other FIVE players. Whoever rebought the most would win. If Daniel was in any of these bets, he may have been freerolling with his rebuys...

Josh

Walter Pullis
05-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I have read most of the replies to the original post, and there is another aspect that hasn't been considered. Negreanu has made a fortune playing poker and is considered one of the top players. Even if he had to rebuy 50 times and
could at best "break-even" with a final table appearance, it
might be worth it to keep his status in the poker world. If
I was in his shoes I would do anything possible to keep my name in the poker press as much as possible

ohkanada
05-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah I was there on Wednesday night and he was proudly discussing that he needed 8th place to breakeven. My understanding is that you could only rebuy with 1000 or less chips and if you were down to 0 you could make a double rebuy. He was saying that he hadn't made any rebuys until 1 1/2 hours in and then he had a stretch of 10 hands in a row where he made rebuys ( likely double rebuys).

Ken Poklitar

1800GAMBLER
05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
He'd be a +EV player in this tournament so rebuying as many times as he wishes makes sense. He's said he enjoys tournaments and that means something to him for any lack of missed potential earnings if he left and went to play a ring game.

Tosh
05-04-2004, 04:37 PM
A great player he is but rebuying and going all in blind multiple times isn't a strategy designed for maximum profit.

He was just having fun, wish I could spend 27k just having fun.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-05-2004, 05:15 PM
$28K is not a big number for Daniel N. I believe he regularly sits in a game with 10x that infront of him.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
No. In most re-buy events, you can rebuy at or below the starting number of chips. Like the 'Stars rebuy tourneys, where you can rebuy and double your stack immediately.

thirddan
05-05-2004, 08:19 PM
i agree, these kind of pros have much different views of money that most people...he said during th showdown at the sands that he wouldnt know what to do with 70k, "you can't even buy a car with that", hmmm....

youtalkfunny
05-06-2004, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...it might be worth it to keep his status in the poker world. If I was in his shoes I would do anything possible to keep my name in the poker press as much as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't give two cents "to keep my name in the poker press," and I doubt that anyone else would, either.

(Possible exception: Anyone selling his name on a product, such as Hellmuth, Brunson, or S+M.)

warlockjd
05-14-2004, 12:41 AM
I wish I would have been at his table!!

blockafor
05-14-2004, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't give two cents "to keep my name in the poker press," and I doubt that anyone else would, either.

(Possible exception: Anyone selling his name on a product, such as Hellmuth, Brunson, or S+M.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be why - to gain sponsorships.

blockafor
05-14-2004, 09:39 AM
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/cparticles_archives.php?id=00052

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like he's knows he's being irresponsible and proud of acting that way.