PDA

View Full Version : Pocket aces in bb, tough 6-12 heads up situation

06-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Tight 6-12 game cutoff open raises, folded to me in bb. Never played against cutoff so dont no anything about the way he plays. I three bet with pocket aces. Flop 10-Q-K

rainbow. I bet he calls. Turn is the 5 I bet again and he raises. What is my move here?

06-19-2002, 11:33 AM
Since you don't know anything about him let's assume he's rational. You 3-bet pre-flop, then bet into a scary board twice. Now he's waited for the turn to raise. I say he can beat top pair. So he either has the same hand as you (unlikely) or he's ahead. If he has AJ you can only tie him. If he's on a set you still have 6 outs to beat him. If he's on two pair you have 9 outs to beat him.

I think I would slow down and call. Then check the river if my A or J doesn't hit. I would call any river bet too (I can never lay down AA). I think it's worth it to see how he plays and discourage others from bluffing you.

Just my ideas.

06-20-2002, 10:25 AM
I know some agressive players who would play a-k like this but I figured he had 2 pair or mabye a set. I called the raise hoping to improve on the river.

When a blank hit the river I made a crying call. He showed a-j for a flopped straight. Would anyone play this differently?