PDA

View Full Version : KK and almost in the money...

laceratedsky
05-02-2004, 06:49 AM
This is from the daily $5+$1 multi-table NL Hold 'Em tourney at Party on Friday.

I have about 4500 chips, and I am the 2nd shortest stack at the table. The blinds are 300/600, and there are about 117 people left in the tournament. Top 110 win money, and I'm feeling pretty good about my chances since I've never finished in the money before in one of these big Multi-tables.

I get dealt KK in the CO. There are 2 limpers to me, so I raise to 1200. BB folds, SB folds, EP limper calls, MP limper folds.

Flop comes 5 8 A rainbow.

Uggg...I bet out 600 and he calls. I'm thinking if he has an Ace it might be a weak one and I may be able to push him off of it.

Turn is a blank.

I bet out 1200 this time hoping to push him off it. And of course, he calls.

River is also a blank.

I check fearing the worst, and he checks it through. He turns over A9o for the Aces over my Kings. And I've lost a huge portion of my stack.

Was there anything I could have done to avoid this? Would pushing all-in before the flop been the appropriate play? It seems like my KK always gets cracked by the Ax playing people, and it has become very frustrating.

As far as this tournament goes, the very next hand I get dealt A10o and I push all in. AJo calls me after a long deliberation and a Jack comes on the river, knocking me out of the tournament in 114th place. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any advice on either of these plays would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-02-2004, 07:44 AM
There's 2100 in the pot when it gets to you. That's a nice addition to your stack. Push in and try to win the entire thing right there. You tried to get cute with a minimum raise and paid the price.

Tosh
05-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Push in before the flop, min raises are crap.

The Prince
05-02-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah, only one good play here: all-in preflop.

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)
www.wptinsider.com (http://www.wptinsider.com)