PDA

View Full Version : the ps special.......just gripes?

dundee197
05-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey all,

We've all had some incredible bad beats and seen beats bust others in horrific fashion. Nothing stings more than "some idiot" playing an inferior hand and hitting his miracle 20-1 shot on the river. It happens...that's poker. Whenever I get hit with a bad beat that's the first thing I say...that's poker. I know posters of bad beats are often greeted with animosity, so I won't dare to recall any of my own colorful stories, but I got to put the question out there: do people actually think the ps special is real? I've played in relatively few tourneys on pokerstars (~20), so my sample size is not incredibly large, but I see a LOT of bad beats every tourney I'm in (I saw AA get beat by KK twice tonight, among others). I'm starting to wonder if the conspiracy theories out there have some merit....

I'd love to hear what those with more time at the tables think. I honestly don't believe the ps RNG actually pits big hands against each other and creates bad beats on purpose, and I realize people are more inclined to remember the inprobably beats rather than the time that the 4-1 shot played out as expected, but still...the last 4 times I've seen AA and KK face off, KK won (that'll happen like 1 out of a 1000 times). Weird.

Ian J
05-02-2004, 03:31 AM
After my night tonight, I think you might be on to something. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

M.B.E.
05-02-2004, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to hear what those with more time at the tables think.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I think is that you don't know what you're talking about. On average KK will beat AA about once in 5.5 times, not 1000. PokerStars has a random shuffle. (In fact, more random than a human dealer shuffling a deck of cards.)

Cornbread Maxwell
05-02-2004, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What I think is that you don't know what you're talking about. On average KK will beat AA about once in 5.5 times, not 1000. PokerStars has a random shuffle. (In fact, more random than a human dealer shuffling a deck of cards.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood him and need to review his post. He said:

[ QUOTE ]
but still...the last 4 times I've seen AA and KK face off, KK won (that'll happen like 1 out of a 1000 times). Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/(5.5^4) = approximately 1/1000. The chances of KK beating AA 4 times in a row are about 1/1000, just like he said.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Actually, he's selectively remembering just AA vs. KK. The odds of the lower pair beating the higher pair 4 consecutive times is 100-1. We can't be sure that's what happened.

Tosh
05-02-2004, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"some idiot"

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to wonder if the conspiracy theories out there have some merit....

[/ QUOTE ]

PAUL-IN
05-02-2004, 08:36 AM
easy to accuse online sites for conspiracy, but chit happens. first hand of a multi final table, i get KK UTG, i pop it the pot, two from me makes it another pot raise, two from him goes all in, i go all in, and it's a three way all in.

i have KK, next guy has AA, next guy has AK os.
flop is 3 7 K. i bust them. BOOYAH. no conspiracy here!

then, 50th hand, i get T4s in bb, only SB completes, flop is T 4 A. he checkraises me, i go all in, he immediately calls. he has AA. WTF. CONSPIRACY!!!!

dundee197
05-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I'll take that as:

"In my vast experience playing on pokerstars, I've never had any reason to think the RNG wasn't anything but random. Either your 4 consecutive AA v. KK hands are tainted by selective memory, or you actually witnessed something that will only happen 1/1000 times. Either way, don't give it a second thought. All the griping about DRAMA-stars is just some people's way of complaining when they get outdrawn. Good luck at the tables!"

eastbay
05-02-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take that as:

"In my vast experience playing on pokerstars, I've never had any reason to think the RNG wasn't anything but random. Either your 4 consecutive AA v. KK hands are tainted by selective memory, or you actually witnessed something that will only happen 1/1000 times. Either way, don't give it a second thought. All the griping about DRAMA-stars is just some people's way of complaining when they get outdrawn. Good luck at the tables!"

[/ QUOTE ]

After about 50 iterations of the above, the former becomes less of a time waster.

eastbay