PDA

View Full Version : My first NL hand post, How bad is this?

blackaces13
05-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Button ($19.60)
Hero ($14.75)
BB ($38.85)
UTG ($19.80)
MP ($7.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP folds, Button folds, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $13.75 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $12.75.

Turn: ($31.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: ($31.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $31.50
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $31.50, between Hero and UTG.</font>

Yardbird
05-01-2004, 08:47 PM

klagett
05-01-2004, 09:40 PM
This is joking?

1800GAMBLER
05-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Compare options. What does betting $14 achieve that betting $4 doesn't?

blackaces13
05-02-2004, 03:28 AM
The two players I was in the hand against were both the type who seemed to play reasonable hands preflop, yet they could not fold if they had anything after the flop. They'd call big bets with top pair medium kicker.

So, the min. raise preflop followed by a post-oak bluff and call on the flop led me to believe that they both had overcards or maybe a flushdraw and overcards.

There was already $5 in the pot so I felt that my $13 raise would almost definitely get me the pot (I had been very tight to this point) and if it didn't I'd probably be up against a hand like AKo or 2 spades that couldn't let themselves fold.

I know this is still a really dumb bet because it is simply too big. As one response already said, I could have bet $4. However, I was VERY confident that I had the best hand at the moment and I didn't even want a good draw calling me, but if it did I wanted the draw to REALLY be taking the worst of it.

blackaces13
05-02-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's joking? I'm not joking. Sorry if this is funny to you but you weren't always as good at NL as you are now. This is my first post from my first session at NL.

Gomez22
05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I think the worst part of this hand was the fact that you put all your chips in the middle with a hand, that, even though had a slim possibility to be ahead ON the flop, was NOT the favorite to win the hand.

You have a flush and straight happy flop here, and while you DID flop TP, you have shite for a kicker.

I'd have to agree that you overplayed this in a bad way here, especially at a Party $25 table. You could ahve gotten the same results and maybe even been able to get away from the hand if you had only raised to $4-$6 on the flop.

If you won the hand, you got lucky on the river, which happens to all of us from time to time, but I think you should maybe hold the aggressiveness in check a little until you have bigger hands.

blackaces13
05-02-2004, 02:34 PM
As it turns out I lost to Ax /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Obviously the turn was about the worst card possible for me but I never wanted to see the turn.

To tell you the truth at this point I was frustrated because I'd just lost a big hand with AT to A8 and I wanted to buy a pot. I knew (strongly felt) neither of them had an 8 and I also thought one of them likely had a draw that they'd call me with which is what I got and the flush hit, twice!

I played the hand like crap because I overbet the pot so much with a weak holding but I was ahead like I thought I would be and the flush came in. As badly as I played it I still should have doubled up about 60% of the time.

Huskiez
05-02-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As badly as I played it I still should have doubled up about 60% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on what that X is in A /images/graemlins/spade.gif X /images/graemlins/spade.gif, he could be a favorite or a decent favorite. If X is 4, 7, T, J, Q, or K, he is a slight favorite at around 51-47. If X is 9 or 6, it's 59-40. If X is 2 or 3, you are a slight favorite at 53-46. So only when he has a 2 or 3 as his side card are you a favorite.

This is just to say, I would be cautious about putting my money in with TP just because you easily still could be the dog.

Best of luck playing NL, and keep posting histories or read them on the forum.

blackaces13
05-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the #'s. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that he would have overcards or a straight and a flush draw at the same time. In my head at the time a draw made me a favorite, I see now that this was horribe thinking.

I'm really not as bad as this hand makes me appear. I took a bad beat to start off and cut my stack in half, I was still a little POed from that. At the time I felt like it was worth $13.75 for a good chance to win $5 right there with the likely "best" hand.

I see now that a lot of drawing hands pretty much had to call me and would even be favorites. Incidentally, I think his side card was a 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif but I deleted the HH because I was too lazy to print it out and burn it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif