PDA

View Full Version : J9s and mistakes

ddubois
05-01-2004, 04:19 PM
HPFAP says J9s is a group 4 hand, right above AJo. I never really played it that highly, only 54% vp$ip with it. Obviously it wants more players than AJo.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(vp$ip87%)</font> raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, vp$ip87% calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">vp$ip87% raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">vp$ip87% caps</font>, Hero calls.

Obviously I [censored] up here. I suspect when I 3bet I didn't even notice the club had paired the board, although maybe I did but just couldn't beleive he had a monster. When he raises, do I call/fold/3-bet, and when he caps, do I fold or crying call to dhowdown?

River: (15.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">vp$ip87% bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 17.25 BB, between Hero and vp$ip87%.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by vp$ip87% (17.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9c Jc (flush, king high).
vp$ip87% shows Kh Ks (full house, kings full of sixes).
Outcome: vp$ip87% wins 17.25 BB. </font>

It was an absolutely brutal session for me. I dutifully bet, check/called, and folded every single OESD I got last night, and was 0-for on the night, I lost count around 10; I had house over my flush, flush over my flush, trips over my two pair. PT says in 1300 hands last night I was 20% wpip 46% w$sd; I had merely 2 straights (won 2), and merely 6 flushes (won 3). I lost over 100 BB, and at the time I didn't think I was playing that bad, but now every hand I look back at seems awful. I don't know how to go back and objectively analyize hands. In the moment, you convince yourself of all these little reads: "oh he's trying to buy the pot since no one bet flop", or "he hit his 3rd six and now he's being too aggressive", or "he raises everything", and my actions seem reasonable, but when I go back and look at them with the results, I want to slap myself. Hindsight is 20/20.

I guess I'm going to have to move back down to .5/1. Or maybe I need to stop multi-tabling. Or just stop playing for awhile. My rate is down to 1 bb/100 for 9300 hands, squandering almost all of my early winnings. At least I'm still in the black.

bisonbison
05-01-2004, 04:22 PM
this hand looks pretty normal.

We know he's loose, but what does he raise with? Would he pop you on the turn with AK?

Bob T.
05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I think you play was reasonable on this hand. It just doesn't always work out.

Against a loose aggressive opponent, you will be ahead a lot more often than you will be behind.

I had a hand earlier this evening in an online 5-10 game, where my opponent capped the turn, and bet out on the river with a 5 high flush. If you were up against that guy, and you slowed down earlier, you would have posted the same hand, wondering if you should have put in another raise.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.