PDA

View Full Version : Misplayed on every street

JDErickson
05-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Opponent is soso. 32% flops, 4% PFR.

Absolute Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (9.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7d 7s (two pair, jacks and sevens).
BB shows Qc Qd (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 9.50 BB. </font>

Now obviously I misplayed this badly. As my HU game needs lots of work I would like to see how others would play this.

Thanx

Daggs911
05-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't think you misplayed it so badly.

Preflop - I would have just called his re-raise, planning to check-raise any favorable board.

Flop - Yup, that's favorable. I would have check-raised, then just called when he 3-bet.

Turn, River - You probably have to call down. See below.

Heads up, it's difficult to put someone on a pair bigger than 77. I don't think you can fold on the flop, b/c only a jack, a five, or an overpair beats you. It's just too likely that he has overcards or is being a donkey. If you're going to release, the turn was probably the spot to do it. But his bet on the turn makes it 8.5BB, so to call down you only have to win 1 in 4 to be profitable. Not to mention your full house outs which have huge implied odds. Probably a call. You can't fold on the river with only 1 BB left to call, especially now that one of the jacks fell.

In my experience, too many people play far too aggressively heads up. I can't even tell you how many times I've been three-bet on the flop or turn, only to have my opponent check down with A or K high. In this case you got burned, but that's what usually happens when somebody holds a pocket pair bigger than yours.

Regards, Matt

dmk
05-01-2004, 01:40 PM
You mentioned in your post 4% PFR...which means he probably raises w/ AA/KK/QQ/AK and thats about it. What else did you put him on the whole time?

My line, given the information you provided, would be:

Preflop: call the 3-bet
Flop: check-raise

If you're 3-bet on the flop, I'd be willing to fold simply given that he PFRs w/ a limited amount of hands, all of which you are behind.

dmk
05-01-2004, 01:42 PM
How can you say its difficult to put someone on a pair bigger than 77 if he PFRs only 4% of his hands?

Forgot to mention in other post that you don't have position either, which isn't fun.

LA_Price
05-01-2004, 02:43 PM
pre-flop: capping with 77. Sounds like a page out of Phil Hellmuths book. Well it might work if the raiser is loose but he almost certainly has overcards. I'd probably just call the three bet and plan to check raise the flop unless an A or K hit in which I might bet out or if the raiser is extremely tight check and fold to a bet.

flop: go for the check raise. Call if he three bets you and check fold the turn unimproved

turn: check fold. I know it's easy to put the other guy on AK or AQ but I'm pretty sure he has you beat at this point.

James Boston
05-01-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you misplayed it so badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he did. It was pretty terrible IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have just called his re-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

How about never raising to begin with? Small to medium pocket pairs do best when they see the flop as cheaply as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, that's favorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not.

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up, it's difficult to put someone on a pair bigger than 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when it's capped pre-flop and on the flop. AA-JJ.

1) See the flop as cheap as possible.
2) Lay the hand down. You're beat unless you improve, and you don't have proper odds to call down.

34TheTruth34
05-01-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about never raising to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was folded to him in the SB and he has a good hand

[ QUOTE ]
Small to medium pocket pairs do best when they see the flop as cheaply as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah? and how do they do heads up against the big blind?

[ QUOTE ]
No it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, J-5-5 is a favorable flop for two sevens.

Please read the hand and actually think about your response before posting from now on. Thanks.

BaronVonCP
05-01-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems preety loose passive, Find a fold on the flop.

James Boston
05-01-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it was folded to him in the SB and he has a good hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I did overlook that, and can admit when I'm wrong. But, the hand was still overplayed. With an opponent seeing 32% of the flops and only raising before the flop 4% of the time, they can't really be described as a LAG. The opponent 3-bet preflop, raised the flop, and then capped it. He's got 77 beat.

Brian462
05-01-2004, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems caught up with this. I think it means absolutely nothing when the opponent is heads up. I can't count the number of times I've seen a usually very passive and somewhat tight player go absolutely apeshit in a blind war. Unless I have reason to think that my opponent won't get very tricky when heads up, I will usually not lay down any sort of decent hand.

I think the best line of play here would be to just call his 3 bet preflop, checkraise the flop and then call his 3 bet, and then check call him down until the river.