PDA

View Full Version : Turn it on or turn 'em off?

StellarWind
05-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

No reads on the main players.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ???

How should I play here?

symphonic
05-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Raise.

Nutz&Boltz
05-01-2004, 11:47 AM
With such a small pot I'd hate to waste these trips. No one bet the flop so a raise will most likely cause everyone to fold. I think this is an easy call.

JDErickson
05-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Raise. Don't get caught up in FPS.

StellarWind
05-02-2004, 01:27 AM
I raised the turn. MP3 and Button folded. SB called the turn and river and showed A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. MHIG.

I think SB got what he deserved for trying to checkraise the flop with no idea if anyone would bet and no tolerance for a free card.

After the session I replayed the hand in my mind and decided I should have smooth called and raised the river. There is a very small chance that the raise/call decision on the turn will change the winner of this little pot. My decision should be about maximizing the money. The raise screams "Two" and virtually assures that I will make the minimum possible. If I had called there is a fair chance that there would have been overcalls. I also avoid the risk that SB will immediately fold a 2-out hand like K5 instead of happily betting the river.

JD, I could use a better explanation of why calling would be FPS. If this play makes money it's a good play. If it doesn't make money I need to understand why.

Thanks to all for your comments.