PDA

View Full Version : preflop fold

06-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Paradise $3-6

Im in the big blind and get Q-J offsuit.

UTG+1 Raises to $6 and get 2 cold callers.

Raiser is a solid player and will probably have a high pair JJ or better.

SB folds .....and so do I.

1. With pottodds of 7 to 1 is this fold to tight?

2. I knew I had to hit 2 pair or better to feel comfortable after the flop, how often does that happen?

3. If I call is my possition good or bad?

I fold and the flop comes 8-9-T with two hearts. Preflop raiser bets and both callers fold? No draws?

Raiser shows a pair of kings.

06-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Well you sho had a draw, didn't ya? lol

No, I think you did the right thing. Good Job.

06-17-2002, 03:40 PM
There are 50 different unknown cards left in the deck. The flop could have been anything. Just because the flop hit you, does not mean that you should have stayed. Long term that is a bad call.

06-17-2002, 03:42 PM
Remeber: DON'T BE RESULTS ORIENTED.

If it wasn't for picking up information on other players, I would never look at the flop after folding. Opens up too many bad thinking patterns.

Avidguru

06-17-2002, 03:46 PM
P H.

1) with an UTG raiser, and two coldcallers, you are likely way behind. On the other hand, your call does close the action, and you are getting 7 to 1 on your call, I think its close enough that you can go either way on this one.

2) You will make two pair or better about 1 out of twenty hands, I believe. If you do, do you think that you can get another 12 small bets out of this hand after the flop. I think it is likely with 4 way action so maybe you can play this hand.

3) Your position is bad, because you are first to act. Your position is good, because the preflop raiser is to you left so you can trap the whole field for a checkraise if you hit your hand and you want to.

Good luck,

Play well,

Bob T.

06-17-2002, 04:31 PM
PH,

I'm probably one of the looser poster's here and I'd muck your hand. Make it suited and it's an easy call. 2 more callers and I play it as well.

06-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Due to your combined possibilites of flopping a straight, straight draw, and two-pair or better, it's a marginal call at best. I'd say it's best to fold and not put yourself in marginal situations with the worst possible position.

Raiser is a solid player and will probably have a high pair JJ or better.

If these are his raising standards, then he is not so solid. A good player should also be raising UTG with AKso, AQso, and KQs.

06-17-2002, 07:55 PM
In this spot I would call if the QJ were suited - but since they're not, I don't like my straight draw or my two pair chances very much because cards that help me may help the raiser more. Because of this problem I would prefer to have JTs here rather than QJs to give me a better shot at an untainted straight draw. I think of this as "separation" from the raiser--I want space between the cards that are likely to be good for him and the cards that are good for me. Of course if he's raising with 99 and up, then even JTs is suspect.

06-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the input and the general opinon seem to be: Fold in this case, but call if there is more callers or if the hand is suited.

I would also be more apt to play a hand like 8-7 in this spot.