PDA

View Full Version : My final table picks for WSOP

harboral
05-01-2004, 02:34 AM
I'm still trying to win a seat, if I don't, I can't make the final table, so........... here are my top 10 picks for a winner, or my final table for the 2004 WSOP Championship:

Juanda - Furlong - Seed - Jett - Cloutier - Negreanu - Flack - Lederer - Ivey - Hansen

If I do win a seat, I'll have to bump the "Professor" from the list - and compared to me, Affleck's odds will look like a favorite.

I realize there are no "field" bets here.........I hate the field! A real pro will win this year or I will be buying a pastrami sandwich at the shoe for anybody that asks. Unless of course Ben Affleck wins - and he is my Wild Card pick. (If he wins, I'll win enough to enter in 2005) Sure, he has only a small chance to win, but he did well last week and at 1001-1 is actually a good bet. Flame away, but with 2000 entries, everybody is a big dog. Might as well get a decent payback. 25-years ago Gabe "Mr. Kotter" Kaplan won a tourny in Reno, so why not?

Your picks are?

Iceman
05-01-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to win a seat, if I don't, I can't make the final table, so........... here are my top 10 picks for a winner, or my final table for the 2004 WSOP Championship:

Juanda - Furlong - Seed - Jett - Cloutier - Negreanu - Flack - Lederer - Ivey - Hansen

If I do win a seat, I'll have to bump the "Professor" from the list - and compared to me, Affleck's odds will look like a favorite.

I realize there are no "field" bets here.........I hate the field! A real pro will win this year or I will be buying a pastrami sandwich at the shoe for anybody that asks. Unless of course Ben Affleck wins - and he is my Wild Card pick. (If he wins, I'll win enough to enter in 2005) Sure, he has only a small chance to win, but he did well last week and at 1001-1 is actually a good bet. Flame away, but with 2000 entries, everybody is a big dog. Might as well get a decent payback. 25-years ago Gabe "Mr. Kotter" Kaplan won a tourny in Reno, so why not?

Your picks are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd only bet the field. In a 1500-player field, I doubt anyone could be better than 500-1 to win it. Maybe not even 750-1 - the "average players" are going to be much tougher than in past years. Due to the proliferation of tournaments and Internet NL ring games, the "names" no longer have the virtual monopoly on NL holdem and tournament skill that they did when public NL ring games were nonexistent and there were only a few deep money NL tournaments a year. A pro could win it, but it's much more likely we'll have another Moneymaker or Varkonyi.

Daliman
05-02-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Your picks are?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. Kotter just happens to be a top-level No Limit hold'em player, as has been for many years. He is no dabbler by any stretch of the imagination.

harboral
05-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes, Gabe Kaplan is a very good player. There was no disrespect in my mentioning him........ However, 25 years ago he made his money as an actor, just like Ben Affleck. Ben hired a coach, plays $1,000/$2,000 HE with the likes of Chan, Doyle and Chip, and played well in the tournament last week. For all the laughing and snickering I've heard in poker rooms about him, he is a good bet at 1001-1 odds to win the WSOP. If he does win, I'll be happy to play in next years championship on my winnings from these long odds. AL

Ed Miller
05-02-2004, 07:32 PM
For all the laughing and snickering I've heard in poker rooms about him, he is a good bet at 1001-1 odds to win the WSOP.

Not if they get over 2000 entries (and it looks like they might). All these bets suck. TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO ENTER. Ben Affleck at 1000-to-1 is probably better than, say, TJ Cloutier at 300-to-1 or something. I will give you that. But just because Affleck is a better bet than the big names doesn't mean he's actually a GOOD bet.

luckycharms
05-04-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A pro could win it, but it's much more likely we'll have another Moneymaker or Varkonyi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Varkonyi is a solid pro. You could tell by the geeky, nasally way he said "Oh, gosh. Uggggh. I knew it. I knew it." when Scotty Nyguen turned over his AA vs Varkonyi's KK in 2003. The definitive poker geek