PDA

View Full Version : K-Jo--- very unorthodox play on my part

Zetack
05-01-2004, 12:04 AM
There were actually a couple of nice tables at pokerstars tonight (unfortunately they didn't stay that way for long) and since I like the software so much better (and my computer is choking on Party and I have to use someone elses) I jumped in.

I expect I'm going to take a lot of flack for this one. Let me say, though, that I got exactly what I wanted out of this hand...although I didn't have a specific read on this guy, the amount of agression he showed throughout the hand for the typical player would on this table would've had me beat. At any rate after the PF raise and the flop raise I decided that I liked my hand just well enough that if I could put in two bets on every street I would be happy. Awfully early in the hand to make that kinda decision I know, but there ya go.

Flame away.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, $-SUJ-$ folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Blindfolk
05-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Why not cap on all the streets? Could you really put your opponent on hands that beat you?

sfer
05-01-2004, 01:10 AM
I don't like it. Even if your read is that he's a LAG. You either won too few bets or lost 2.5 BBs too many.

SpaceAce
05-01-2004, 01:22 AM
If you're going to stop raising on the flop, why lead out on the turn? Check-raise instead. Otherwise, three-bet the flop and lead out on the turn. I would three-bet that flop just about every time.

SpaceAce

sin808
05-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Looking at MP1's raises it would seem quite possible he could be holding AK.

Ralph Wiggum
05-01-2004, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking at MP1's raises it would seem quite possible he could be holding AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing convinces me that he has AK. I don't think he got any good information on this hand.

sin808
05-01-2004, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't be convinced either, not often all 4 K's will be in play. But if I was MP1 and had AK, that's what it would look like most likely

Zetack
05-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Yep, I figured y'all would hate it. I wouldn't ordinarily play the hand like that. On flop, I thought, well he may have it, and if he doesn't, I wonder if I can keep him attacking me the whole way... On that table with that board, a player who raised me PF and then raised me on every street was about 95 percent likely to show me A-K or maybe K-Q.

Except, as it turns out, this guy. He had A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and mhig. It turns out this guy was either a lousy lousy player or seriously on tilt and he quickly became my new pokerstars best buddy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course after he dropped about 40 bucks in a half hour one guy started berating him pretty much constantly until he left. Now that guy I didn't like at all. After the fishy fish left the berating guy said things like, "I hate players who bet just to bet." "He was ruinning the game." "What're you guys, pros? How are you going to learn and get better if you have players like that on the table." And my personal favorite: "He builds huge pots that cause all the other idiots to chase so you always get sucked out on."

--Zetack

vulturesrow
05-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Zetack,

That must have upset you. I remember in Lee Jones book he specifically mentions being very nice to bad players. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You shouldve berated that guy right back or at least stood up for your "new best friend" in an attempt to keep him in the game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris

Zetack
05-01-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zetack,

That must have upset you. I remember in Lee Jones book he specifically mentions being very nice to bad players. /images/graemlins/smile.gif You shouldve berated that guy right back or at least stood up for your "new best friend" in an attempt to keep him in the game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there was another guy at the table doing that...unfortunately he was probably just reinforcing the idea that this guy should leave...saying things like, "why do you mind a bad player"...probably don't encourage the bad player to stick around lol.

--Zetack

The Dude
05-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Your line on this hand is terrible, but not because it's unorthodox. Either you think you're ahead, or you think you're behind. Don't straddle the fence like that. Play it one way until you have enough information to think otherwise.

Peter Harris
05-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Fold preflop.

3-bet flop

bet and 3-bet turn

cap river

either you lost lots of bets, or shouldn't have been in the hand.

Peter Harris

Nate tha' Great
05-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Preflop is bad. If the table is tight enough that you can play this hand, and it doesn't sound like it is, then raise with it.

Your line of betting out on both the flop and the turn is not so bad against a very aggressive opponent. A lot of opponents have some respect for check-raises, but will raise almost automatically when bet into. But the key to that line is going for the 3-bet on the turn.