PDA

View Full Version : 96s from the sb - how would you play it?

TheRake
04-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Loose & passive 2/4 table at Party (10 handed)

Player reads:
BB = weak tight...Doesn't play very many hands, he bets/raises when he has a hand.

EP1 = very loose and semi-aggro. if anything is checked to him he is on autobet wether he has anything or not.

Others are standard garden variety party players.

TheRake is in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

PreFlop: EP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button Limps, TheRake completes, BB checks

(5 players for 5sb)

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
TheRake Checks, BB checks, EP1 bets, MP2 folds, Button calls, TheRake??

Jaran
04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
First I go to the closet and get out my nicest dress, put it on, come back to the computer and fold. EP1 doesn't scare me, but w/o a read on the button, I'm out of there.

-Jaran

afs
04-30-2004, 05:24 PM
If ep1 can throw away a hand on the turn or river, it might be worth raising & keeping the heat on so long as BB folds. I wouldn't do this, but it might be the correct play. Otherwise, I think it's worth a call -- 7:1 should be around pot odds for backdoor+gutshot on flop.

TheRake
04-30-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's worth a call -- 7:1 should be around pot odds for backdoor+gutshot on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on you have to better than that /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think this is an easy call, but there are some other factors working. Think about the reads I gave you.

TheRake

afs
04-30-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on you have to better than that

[/ QUOTE ]

not really /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an easy call, but there are some other factors working. Think about the reads I gave you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm misinterprating the reads you gave. Or maybe 'garden variety' loose passive party 2/4 is much different from the 'garden variety' loose passive .5/1 party I'm familiar with. I actually didn't see see the button call initially -- distracted at work -- but the only difference this makes is that I now really think it's completely straightforward. You're behind, you'll almost certainly win if you make your hand, it looks like the hand is going to showdown no matter what you do, I can't imagine you'll get a free card if you raise, you don't really _care_ what anyone else has, unless I guess the button has 89 or 68 or somesuch ... I'm missing something really significant I guess.

TheRake
04-30-2004, 07:21 PM
afs,

I gave reads for the BB and EP1.

I am getting 7:1 immediate odds on an 8.4:1 draw (4 outs for the gutshot + 1 out for the backdoor non-nut flush). prolly okay to call on implied odds only, but I also have good relative position to the bettor. there is a good chance the BB will fold which will leave me last to act if I check the turn and EP1 bets again.

[ QUOTE ]
TheRake is in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

(5 players for 5sb)

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TheRake calls, BB folds

Turn:(3 players for 4bb) 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

TheRake??

Ralph Wiggum
04-30-2004, 07:46 PM
I probably would have folded the flop, but I don't know my odds. On the turn, I don't think a semi-bluff is a good option, if the possibility that EP1 tends to be loose aggressive on later streets. a raise would really destory your odds. If he's capable of folding, then I still have to consider the Button who could have TPWK or 2nd pair. I think a check is in order w/o the GSFD (wrong acronym?).

afs
04-30-2004, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
afs,

I gave reads for the BB and EP1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I thought I took this into account, if somewhat awkwardly. Maybe I'm communicating increadibly poorly.

On the turn, I'd check. Almost want to say this is a good check-raise semi-bluff spot if the button folds, but that's getting over-fancy. Weak-tighty me check-calls.

jeffseib
04-30-2004, 07:59 PM
PF: Limped around, prob. a lot of low cards and High card/Low card combinations.

Flop: You have an ISD and a backdoor flush draw, giving you approx. five outs. The implied odds that you are getting (8:1) are sufficient to call one more card (the pot size at SD minus your contribution will be approx. 12 SB, laying you 12:1 odds). EP1's bet doesn't mean a lot here. Might have made a small pair, or just bluffing at the pot. The button also might have made a small pair. The player you should be worried about is BB. If your read on EP1 and the button are players that fold to a raise, or players that will check to the raiser, then a raise might be in order to knock them out or to get a free card.

The other option is to fold. This is a case of raise or fold, calling would be a mistake. EP1 would bet the turn and if your card didn't hit, all you can do is fold. This wasted your weak call on the flop.

kiemo
04-30-2004, 08:04 PM
I folded this preflop, hence didnt bother reading the rest of the hand.

Ok. Call the flop. Raise the turn. Hope they all fold. If not and you miss the flush, check/fold the river

jeffseib
04-30-2004, 08:08 PM
With three limpers, why would you drop? You are getting the proper odds to complete the SB.

TheRake
04-30-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
TheRake is in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

(5 players for 5sb)

Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TheRake calls, BB folds

Turn:(3 players for 4bb) 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

TheRake??

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I am not sure everyone is going to agree with my play. I thought that turn card was a good semi bluffing card. I decided to c/r the turn and bet the river no matter what card comes off (unless the board double pairs or another 5 comes off).

I wanted to give myself a chance to win even if I didn't make my hand.

Here is how the rest of the hand played out.

TheRake checks, EP1 bets, button calls, TheRake raises, EP1 calls, button folds

River (2 players 9bb) 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

TheRake bets, EP1 calls

EP1 shows KJo and I get caught with my hand in the cookie jar....FPS /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Comments?

TheRake

sthief09
04-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I like betting the turn rather than check-raising. Check-raising puts 2 bets in, and you aren't going to get a 1/2 player to fold very often. Plus, when people get check-raised, they often will call down out of curiosity.

If you bet the turn, you often get people to fold.