PDA

View Full Version : Do I cap the river with the Near Nuts?

Zetack
04-30-2004, 01:50 PM
This hand isn't very complicated, but do I cap the river?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 folds, BB caps, Hero calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Ordinarily I would treat a boat made with the top set as the nuts and cap, but BB woke up on the turn when the first five hit, he capped the turn, bet into me and 3-bet me on the river and I finally started to wonder if maybe he had pocket fives after all.

--Zetack

symphonic
04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
You should cap the river 150% of the time. He probably had J5, K5 or 45.

bakku
04-30-2004, 01:59 PM
To what address would you like your skirt delivered to? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chief444
04-30-2004, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand isn't very complicated, but do I cap the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You are almost always good here, especially considering both 5's on board came on the turn and river. There are many more likely hands than quads that you will see. Do you really believe that you won't be good here more than half of the time with the 2nd nuts?

tech
04-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I agree with symphonic. I cap this all day every day.

SoCalPat
04-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I would cap here, saying all along to myself that there's no way in hell he just went perfect-perfect on me to win.

He could have slowplayed 44 or JJ, too. Mind you, that you're acting immediately after him. If he bets out the flop with his set or 2 pair, your raise will likely drive many others out. He doesn't want that, but he figures you might want that (He's not putting you on top set here -- with a set of his own, he's thinking how to extract the most money from the field. Of course, he is drawing near dead at this point, but he'll realize that later).

Simply put, he could have woke up on the turn for many other reasons -- J5, K5, 54, 44 and JJ would all be played the same, as would 55. Maybe even KJ too. That's no less than 6 hands you beat, and one that you lose to. Cap the river.

Zetack
04-30-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap here, saying all along to myself that there's no way in hell he just went perfect-perfect on me to win.

He could have slowplayed 44 or JJ, too. Mind you, that you're acting immediately after him. If he bets out the flop with his set or 2 pair, your raise will likely drive many others out. He doesn't want that, but he figures you might want that (He's not putting you on top set here -- with a set of his own, he's thinking how to extract the most money from the field. Of course, he is drawing near dead at this point, but he'll realize that later).

Simply put, he could have woke up on the turn for many other reasons -- J5, K5, 54, 44 and JJ would all be played the same, as would 55. Maybe even KJ too. That's no less than 6 hands you beat, and one that you lose to. Cap the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooo, you're good. He did in fact have 44 here for his little baby boat. MHIG. I'm glad I live in a micro world where I don't have to regret every missed bet though.

--Zetack

chief444
04-30-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that all of the other hands listed are more likely (mathematically) than 5-5.

Yeknom58
04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
If the only hand that can beat me is quads I'm always going to lose the max and so should you.

afs
04-30-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention that all of the other hands listed are more likely (mathematically) than 5-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like 29:1 more likely. Good lord is it not even close.

sfer
04-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Zetack! C'mon. You'll see K5/J5/45 sooooo much more often here. You should be cursing the heads-up betting cap online here, not wondering if you 4-bet.

The_Eye
04-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I say cap it too. Other than that I'd say this was well played, you got the maximum in there you could minus 1 BB.

beerbandit
04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd raise on the river---It would take a really good for me to stop raising this river; or atleast someone running out of chips.

(can betting be capped heads up on party?)

sfer
04-30-2004, 03:20 PM
It's capped on Party. Every online site I've played at caps. This is one where you start getting the heebie-jeebies about 10 bets in.

Zetack
04-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Apparently me ask bigum dumb question...

Nak
04-30-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To what address would you like your skirt delivered to? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nak

Zetack
04-30-2004, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that's very insulting to all the very fine women players (not to mention Scottsmen) out there and I...um...are there any women reading this forum?....

--Zetack