PDA

View Full Version : Flops the set, and wimps out like no other

JrJordan
04-29-2004, 11:24 PM
1 orbit in, no real reads yet. I feel like I couldn't have played this hand any weaker. Lots of critique and poker bashing welcome.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

SB ($24)
BB ($30.90)
UTG ($49.15)
MP1 ($43.55)
Hero ($23)
CO ($73.85)
Button ($20.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, UTG calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB calls $0.50.

<font color="blue"> Easy enough limp right? </font>

Flop: ($6.50) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

<font color="blue"> Hits the set on a VERY uncoordinated board. Checks all to me. I feel if I pot it here, I'll probably lose everybody, so I decide to wait until the turn. On any 2 flush or straight draw board, I'm betting this everytime, but this board seemed too good to be true. Anyone have a problem with the slowplay? </font>

Turn: ($6.50) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $0.5</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls $3.50.

<font color="blue"> Someone limps in with $.50, it's so weak I feel like a pot bet here will knock em all out again. I slightly underbet hoping to get a few callers. I think this is my first mistake. I should bet this one hard and just hope to have callers. If they don't have it now, they probably won't have it on the river either. </font>

River: ($15) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> This is where I turn into the sissy of all sissys. 3rd club its the board. His action so far (check flop, small limp turn) is screaming flush draw and he may have just hit it. I worry that he's trapping me with the check again, so I check too. If this a value bet here when I'm worried about the trap? Or was I right checking back too? </font>

Final Pot: $15

I get sets so rarely that I feel like I should capitalize on them. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

JrJordan

daryn
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I get sets so rarely that I feel like I should capitalize on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, about how often do you flop a set? once every .. oh, say 8 and a half times?

JrJordan
04-30-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm not as fishy as I sound. I'll make it more detailed. In the last 3000 hands PT has me flopping the set 1 in 14 on a pocket pair. Because it's happening on a less frequent basis than on average, I'm trying to capitalize on the opportunities I get. Any advice for the hand would be appreciated too... Thanks.

Tilted Litt
04-30-2004, 01:02 AM
With Sets, I personally like to just try to take the pot down there. Everytime I try to get greedy and cute by checking, I end up losing. At least what has worked for me is just bet out and strong when you have the best (or very close to) hand at that time.

I may be wrong here, but if you force everyone out, then so be it. If you get reraised, it's possible they've hit a higher set. I just think it's like getting Pocket Aces, they're only the best hand until the flop comes down, so get your money in when you're supposed to, then let the averages sort themselves out afterwards.

sam h
04-30-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get sets so rarely that I feel like I should capitalize on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way one capitalizes on big hands in this game is by winning big pots, which you can't win if you don't build them. Bet this flop every time.

JrJordan
04-30-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm assuming the usual pot sized bet would be good here? Or should I underbet slightly to encourage the extra caller? I certainly made the rest of my hand harder by not betting the turn. My best chance of winning the big pot is when I bet it big.

sam h
04-30-2004, 01:42 AM
On a board like this I will usually bet between one half and the full pot, depending upon the opponents and the way the table is playing.

Daann
04-30-2004, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't pot the flop unless you have been seen to be doing a load of stealing in that position, the board is absolutely horrible. Maybe a half pot bet, people might read it as weakness and call/check raise you. If you do get a couple of callers, then half pot it again on the turn. I wouldn't be too worried about the runner runner flush draw then and so would be able to value bet the river without any qualms.

Scottnyce
04-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Bet 75% of the Pot on the turn, it will kill the odds for drawing hands and can still be taken as a weak bet by an opponent, if he calls and bets out on the river you have a decison to make...he could also just have Top Pair.

The less you see the river with a set the better.

1800GAMBLER
04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't be the flop.

I wouldn't try to take the pot down.

I'd bet the river.

Daann
04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
A 3/4 pot bet does not look anywhere near as weak as a half pot bet, and a half pot bet does kill the pot odds headsup.

Anyway, if someone calls my flop bet, then my turn bet and then bets into me when the backdoor flush completes on this board then I raise barring any reads. Most people will try for a check raise if they hit a flush, silly as it is as their opponent generally checks behind them... They are far more likely to have hit two pair due to the rivered A in this situation.

HajiShirazu
05-02-2004, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Hits the set on a VERY uncoordinated board. Checks all to me. I feel if I pot it here, I'll probably lose everybody </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't ever feel that way, because this is
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]