PDA

View Full Version : QJo ... ... ...

miamikid
04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
I hate QJo because I really don't know how to play it, If I do it's only from late position. I never call a raise with it. I'd like to hear what you think of this hand.

Thanks!
miamikid

astroglide
04-30-2004, 12:20 AM
your plan sounds fine. don't get happy with overcalls either, because if there are a lot of limps the AJ/KQ/KJ factor gets larger. it's also possible to fold it to tight limps.

Spyder
04-30-2004, 03:05 PM
I limp late with it hoping for a straight draw or two Q's or J's or QJX. I hate getting one Q or J as top pair. If I get anything else, I get away from it. I check top pair and wait...maybe I'll call, maybe not...depends on the people doing the betting and their position.

Spyder

harboral
04-30-2004, 03:06 PM
QJ has a very small +EV and is not a hand you want to be playing uTG or where you stand a chance of being reraised against a small field or heads up. From the CO or button with no players this becomes a raising hand. However, if you never played this hand you would only cost yourself a tiny amount, maybe 10 cents per hour in an online $3/6 game. If you are strong post flop you can make some money, weak post flop and you will lose big time. AL

sthief09
04-30-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I get anything else, I get away from it. I check top pair and wait...maybe I'll call, maybe not...depends on the people doing the betting and their position.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is terrible

Spyder
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Well, tell me why....I'm still learning and listening /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I AM positive EV on this hand so far (15k hands), by the way.

Spyder

sthief09
04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Because flopping top pair with QJ in a relatively small pot is definitely a big hand. You shouldn't be checking and folding even. You should bet because your opponents aren't getting odds to call with gut shots or bottom pair, and there's a huge chance your hand is best.

miamikid
04-30-2004, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because flopping top pair with QJ in a relatively small pot is definitely a big hand. You shouldn't be checking and folding even. You should bet because your opponents aren't getting odds to call with gut shots or bottom pair, and there's a huge chance your hand is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'd call flopping top pair with QJo a big hand, but I agree in betting it... I like to bet it for info here to see where I am at, and to not give a free card.

miamikid

fluff
04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
That's pretty much how one should play QJo.

LondonBroil
04-30-2004, 08:08 PM
I think the biggest EV from this hand comes from when the flop is Jack high and you take the pot off someone playing JT. Seems like a lot of people (especially in the 3/6 games at Party) like JT in any position.

Spyder
04-30-2004, 09:45 PM
I understand. You think I fold top pair. I never fold top pair unless I know I'm beat...as a matter of fact, I probably hold top pair way too long, too many times /images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, if I flop top pair with QJ, I play them with dread, but aggressively. If I'm in late position and it's checked to me, I play it like a winning hand. If I'm in early position, I'll bet out and see who raises me. I'm no shrinkin' violet /images/graemlins/wink.gif

However, I really hate it when I have to play this hand this way because, most of the time, its a losing wager...But, play it I do.

Spyder

Huskiez
05-01-2004, 01:01 AM
I think QJo is a pretty interesting hand.

In NL, I tend to agree with Spyder in that top pair is not really good a hand, and I find it to be -EV to be trying to win the pot by betting out or calling to the river. When there are callers you can't tell what they have too often because people like to play AQ/J and KQ/J passively if you bet enough. I usually will only play it for the straight or two pair or trips.

However in limit games, I agree with sthief09. I find it to be profitable to play it aggressive in a small pot. You can't lose too much and usually will be ahead in the hand, and if you're not you'll find out soon.

Kenrick
05-01-2004, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think QJo is a pretty interesting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, it's always interesting. Either you flop nothing, or you flop top pair with an iffy kicker. I'll bet that [censored] if I have top pair on the flop and turn. If I get outkicked, oh well, but people play far worse-kicker hands, too, so I figure at the worst I'm about even overall.

If I don't think I can see the flop unraised, I won't bother with it.

BaronVonCP
05-01-2004, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never fold top pair unless I know I'm beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I limp late with it hoping for a straight draw or two Q's or J's or QJX. I hate getting one Q or J as top pair. If I get anything else, I get away from it. I check top pair and wait...maybe I'll call, maybe not...

[/ QUOTE ]

rigoletto
05-01-2004, 06:07 AM
From this and previous threads on the subject I suspect that most LL players lose with QJo because they play it to weak postflop. The idea of chekking and not raising top pair is a surefire way to lose with this hand and the notion that you are often outkicked in an unraised pot is ridiculous. You have to play it strong when you flop good.

In loose games I allways limp in with this hand in an unraised pot. In tighter games I open for a raise from MP. I allways play it strong if I hit. I make 0.14 BB per QJo hand and even if it's not AA figures it's not chump change either.

Spyder
05-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Heh...if I get anything other than what's in the first two sentences /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spyder

bernie
05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
In EP or a blind, if you have someone who is likely to raise in LP, you can also check it and go for the raise to knock out the As and Ks. Maybe even some gutshots depending on the board.

b