PDA

View Full Version : K suited and jamming draws

06-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Two questions. TIA.

1) I was wondering what people feel about playing suited Kings, such as K9 and lower? I generally don't play them unless I am in the small blind with three limpers or unraised with a free play in the big blind. Does anyone play these hands in late position with 3 or more limpers?

I generally won't play a suited ace unless I think I can get five limpers, so is there a situation where I should play a Kx suited in LP?

2) What type of situations should I be jamming with a draw? Specifically, I find myself flopping 4 to a flush with a suited ace in either of the blinds. Should I be jamming my draw by betting into the field, assuming 5 or more to see the flop, because my early position bet will permit someone to raise me and force the remaining players to call two bets. I am thinking it is better to keep people around with this type of draw, so I often play for a check-raise and accept a free card if the game is very passive. Does anyone bet in this situation?

I generally won't bet open ended st8 draws unless there are two or more other players and no flush draws or a pair on the board, am I giving up too much by only betting here?

06-13-2002, 08:54 PM
I'm on the button. four limpers to me. I call with any suited King. The problem is when a king flops. You have to understand that most of the value in this hand is in its flush possibilities. If you aren't willing to let it go sometimes when a King flops, then don't play it at all.

Suited aces, I love suited aces in low limit poker. I love A9s when I out kick Axo. I love two people paying me off when I turn the nut flush. I will call a suited ace in middle position with one limper. I will raise a suited ace if I am first in in the late middle. I don't play suited aces up front, but I would venture that in some games (PP 2-4?) that it would not be wrong.

Thoughts?

OneTime

06-14-2002, 01:32 AM
1) I play Kxs from the small blind so long as it's not raised. But my $4/8 is a $2, $4 blind game. If you're playing $3/6 with $1, $3 blinds this might be too loose.

I play Kxs from the big blind for 1 raise max so long as 2 others will see the flop. I mean a 3 player confrontation, including myself.

I rarely play Kxs from the cutoff if maybe 3 people or more limp in before me and the players behind are not aggressive.

I play Kxs from the button if two players limp in ahead of me.

I think it's worth experimenting playing with Kxs for a raise if you'll see the flop 5 ways.

The above is all true in the loose, passive games in which I sit. But I think these are good guidelines for the typical low-limit game.

I'll tell you that a suited Ace is a lot stronger than you think.

2) It's worth jamming a draw when you will win more than 1/n of the time where n is the number of players who will call all bets. So if you flop a flush draw, it's worth it for you to jam if at least two other players will call all bets (n=3, including yourself, and since you will win just over 1/3rd of the time).

Regarding the situation you gave about betting open ended straight draws, try posting a sample hand or two that brings out your question better. The problem is that the answers will vary from situation to situation.

06-15-2002, 12:01 AM
There is a very good treatment in HEPFAP on this subject especially in section of Loose Games.