PDA

View Full Version : gambling law

Johnsears
04-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I looked and honestly don't know where to post this question. Im doing some research on my own but I'm running out of time so I decided to ask here.

I want to host a poker tournament at my college (oregon institute of technology). It will be 5 dollars to enter, and then I'm going to match the total prize pool to make things interesting(if 12 people enter, 60 dollar prize pool, i'll put in another 60 bucks). Most likely top 3 will get money. The "house" will not make any money off this - all money going into the prize pool comes back out to the winners.

This is in the state of Oregon. I need to know if it is legal to do this. I don't want it to get stopped halfway through because it isn't legal or something.

Please help /images/graemlins/laugh.gif(and if there is somewhere else this thread should be, feel free to move it admins). Thanks.

J.R.
04-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Look at Chapter 167.108-167.167 of the Oregon Code (http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/167.html)

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Well, here's a start.

Oregon Gambling Laws (http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Oregon/)

Just curious, but, that took all of 15 seconds to find via google, and I type slow. That college you're in, have they ever heard of search engines? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Johnsears
04-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks both of you, and thanks for your sarcasm :P

however, I already read this. I understand that my tournament would be falling under the category of a "social game".

However, its kind of difficult for me to follow. What I gather is that(I think), social games are regulated by state or county.

OIT is in Klamath County, in the city of Klamath Falls. I've done some searching but I don't know where to look to find the local legislation.

BTW I don't go to OIT anymore I dropped out to play poker for a living.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 08:13 PM
thanks for your sarcasm

But it was good-natured sarcasm.

Seriously, most gambling laws are vague, so as long as you don't annoy the wrong people, you'll probably be OK.