PDA

View Full Version : Reads on Players

Leave_it_2_Beav
04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
This is a very basic question, but one that will help me post some of my hands in the future. When giving reads on players, what are the classifications of different player types, and what is a good example of each. How long does it usually take to get a good read on a player? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I want to post some of my hands and know that this is valuable information in a correct posting. Just want to make sure my definition of a LAG, etc. is the same as the forums. Cheers!

BTW: Since l started lurking on this site everyday at work about 2 months ago (great name for a website due to the fact that it does not get filtered out as a gambling website in my corporate world) I am happy to say that I am up 233 BB playing Party 2/4 playing about 10 hours per week. Thanks for the incredible knowledge and I look forward to post some hands in the near future!

_Beav

LetsRock
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Dr. Al's book (Psycology of Poker) does a very good job on helping you to profile players, as well as how to play against each type (amongst other things). I'd highly recommend it. Basically:

LAGs (loose aggressive) play many hands, very aggressively. Extreme LAGS are maniacs. They rely on luck and tend to have very big swings - they will occasionally have big wins, but more often have big losses. Their undisciplined play will tend to confuse you, which adds to their success when they're running hot.

LAPs (loose passive) play many hands, very weakly (few raises, many calls) I call these players lambs (ca-a-a-a-a-ll) This is by far the worst player. They see alomost every pot and almost every street and almost never maximize a win (unless someone else is doing the betting for them). They could have the nuts and may very well check/call (which can be a bit confusing, but at least it's not as costly as losing to a LAG!)

TAGs (Tight aggressive) play few hands, but play them very aggressively (ideal style) players who can play this style well, tend to do very well - they typically maximize their wins and control their losses.

TAPs (tight passive) play few hands, but play them very weakly (lots of calling and folding) - also known as rocks, they tend to be winners, but fail to maximize their wins, but do minimize their losses. They will get very little action because they are so rarely invloved in a hand, that any one with half a clue will get out of their way. Watch out for the check raise from these guys.

jdl22
04-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Generally it goes like this:

LAG - loose preflop (plays too many hands) and raises too many of them. They are also too loose on the other streets and will do things like jam the pot with second pair, top pair weak kicker, or even an inside straight draw.

Rock (tight passive) - play very few hands and rarely raise preflop. On the flop they fold too much, even when it appears their hand is probably good or they have odds to draw. When they raise postflop they probably have the nuts or second nuts.

Tight aggressive - what we are shooting for. Don't play many hands but when they play them they raise fairly frequently. Postflop solid as well.

Loose-passive aka calling station - play too many hands and take them too far, but they aren't the ones forcing the action. They simply call, call, call. If they raise they probably have something but if they are only calling you really don't know because they will call down with as little as queen high.

Leave_it_2_Beav
04-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Perfect. Just what I was looking for. Very informative answers. I will definately check out DR. Als book!

_Beav

bernie
04-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Im curious...

What does the 'A' stand for in LAP and TAP?

b

MicroBob
04-30-2004, 12:04 AM
bisonbison recently posted an outstanding exercise in the microlimits forum about this.
check out the hands and the various players and then check out how the various respondants categorized the players.

you will learn much. you can thank me later.
but go to this thread....and that's an order!!

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/remlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=19238&F_Board=micro&Threa d=657729&Main=657729