PDA

View Full Version : stupid and lucky or smart?

Little Fishy
04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Here's the scenario...
I was playing heads up $.50-$1.00 limit holdem against my dad. I was on the button with a $.25 blind, he had a .$50 blind.
I'm delt A 4 off and call the blind.
My dad raises. I call.

The flop comes K 10 5. with no possible flush draw.

My dad checks. I put him on either low pair in the hole or on high cards preflop (he doesn't like to raise with high pairs or anything other than highcards or pairs when playing limit.) He checks the flop. I figure he fears the king, or has a top pair and puts me on lower cards. I check behind him for the free card.

on fourth street a 2 falls.

He bets $.50 into me. I figure he has a pair either 10's or Kings and wants to stop another over card from hitting. With an over card and a gut shot strait draw i figure i have seven outs out of 46 unseen cards or about 15.2% of making my hand. I figure with a middle pair he'll check to me on fifth, if i hit I'll bet and knowing his temperment he'll call to prevent the bluff, this means i'd be betting $.50 to win a possible $3.50 if i hit or I'm getting 14.2% pot odds. I call his bet.

a 3 falls on the river. I cought my strait! But that's beside the point. On the Showdown, My dad had 2 pair Kings over tens. that means I only had 4 outs instead of 7 and really only had an 8% chance to make the best hand and a 6% chance to make a second best and get taken down.

And now for the good part, the question...
How am I supposed to protect against things such as drawing to a top pair against two pair? And Did I make a bad read, or, for heads up, was my play legitimate?

ps sorry I went into so much detail about the situation, but I thought i needed to, so ya'll can help improve my game, thanks.

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 07:30 PM
i don't know wether you made a bad read. It is possible to read a 2 pair checking the flop if that is what he (alsmost) 'always' does with a flopped 2 pair or higher.

If you had raised preflop as you should do (or at least i would've done, but for heads-up im from the fold-or-raise-school preflop especially with you sitting SB in the button) you should've bet the flop because of the scarecards and give up on the turn (by checking it through) because of him calling the flop and you having good outs for river-action (you're not bluffing anymore by checking)

hell i don't know, im a little bit drunk /images/graemlins/blush.gif ...hope this help though...somewhat...a bit?

So thats what you did....

i didn't know what my answer would be

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 07:30 PM
...o yeah but you're lucky thats for sure (not stupid)

sthief09
04-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I would've raised the turn, because I'm a LAG /images/graemlins/grin.gif