PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian music

jdl22
04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I know there's a few locals here so I thought I would make a request for Hawaiian music reccomendations. My fiance is from Hawaii and I've been introduced to this genre through her. Unfortunately we're currently in long distance relationship and so for me it's good to listen to it and think of her although at times this does nothing but depress me. I already have or have heard these:

IZ - N Dis Life
John Cruz - whatever the cd is called with Island Style
Keali'i Reichel - E O Mai
Keola and Kapono Beamer - can't remember the cd title but it had sweet okole and another hilarious song how the pake man got plenty Lai Chi and the haole got plenty swimming pools and they should share and we should get along, anyway
Hapa - a couple cd's I can't remember anything from

On the IZ cd I like all the songs in Hawaiian as well as Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World. Basically the other English songs all have a super cheesy synthesizer that I'm not a big fan of. I also don't like "Jawaiian" music for similar reasons. So in general I like songs with ukulele or slack key, language isn't so important. I also liked the chanting on Keali'i Reichel's album.

I went to see Jack Johnson at the Kokua festival last January at some arena in town (they moved it from the Kualoa ranch because of rain) and saw Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliam (sp?) and Willie K. They were fantastic. I especially like a song by Gilliam, that I'm told is a classic, about Haleiwa. Any cd reccomendations of either of these artists would be fantastic.

Any suggestions?

M2d
04-29-2004, 06:27 PM
My all time favorite (for now /images/graemlins/cool.gif) is the Makaha Sons. They're very traditional now, and considered the Deans of Hawaiian music, but they were, back in the 70's known as pretty progressive wtih some nice reggae, country and rock influences (all played on acoustic guitars, ukes and no electricity, of course).
Try some of their old stuff (recently re-released on as anthologies) as well as some of their newer stuff. Iz was a part of the original band as was his brother Skippy. wonderful five part harmonies.
after skippy died, the reformed with the three current members and iz. I think they only released a couple albums from this period, but it was when they made a break away from the real progressive stuff (they always had a very strong traditional streak in their music). Then, when Iz left to go solo, they came back as the Makaha Sons (dropped the "of Niihau" that was in their original name). While I liked all of their music through the years, I have to say that I like this incarnation the best. For one thing, they're more established than before, so I think they're getting much better original material from other writers. Also, without Iz, they're a much tighter sound. Three part harmonies rather than four, and three stringed instruments rather than four have given them a crisp, tight, impressive style.

Other groups to look for include Olomana, Apo and Beazley, some of the old Sunday Manoa, Sons of Hawaii, Gabby Pahinui, Robi Kahakalau, Na Leo, Hui Ohana, the Lim Family and there's many many more great groups and singers. Most of these groups are available on Kazaa and bearshare so you could probably get a taste before you commit to an entire disc.

Ray Zee
04-29-2004, 11:14 PM
hey m2d you forgot to tell him about tiny bubbles.

M2d
04-30-2004, 12:40 AM
we gotta get you over there. Lots of reefs that have rarely if ever been probed by a fly fisherman as well as a 40/80 stud game, full of lawyers that routinely sees community river cards dealt. and that was before the wpt explosion.

Ray Zee
04-30-2004, 10:12 AM
i am in the air now heading for hawaii looking for what you say. naw.

dogsballs
04-30-2004, 05:04 PM
you might track something down here

booklineshawaii.com (http://www.booklineshawaii.com/MUSIC/mvh/STYLES/MVH.Hawaiian%20Classics.html)

mauisupaman
05-03-2004, 01:12 PM
M2d - You are talking about some old school there. Good music though.

mauisupaman
05-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Jared,
The ones you listed are good. And there are many relatively new groups that are currently at the top of the Hawaiian music pop culture. Such as,
Keahi wai, Pure Heart (they remade a better version of the song you like Lychee man), Native Blend (in fact, the lead singer is my good friend Greg Sakamoto), Baba B, Natural Vibrations, Opihi pickers and many more. Some other classic groups that are musts include Na Leo Pilimehana, Ka'au crater boys, and Mana'o company.

M2d
05-03-2004, 02:11 PM
some of my first memories, growing up was at the Sty, the Territorial Tavern and the Chuckwagon chasing bands like Sons of Hawaii, Olomana and Sunday Manoa. My dad was friends with David "Feets" Rodgers and they are still friends with Eddie and Myrna Kamai. So, yah, I went bar hopping at age 3.

M2d
05-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Who's that new girl from Kauai? My parents heard her sing at Merrie Monarch last month and they raved about her. never caught her name, though.
also, your homegirl Raiatea Helm can really belt them out. kinda raw yet, but her pure talent is awesome. figures, though given her uncle.