PDA

View Full Version : second-level thinking in Party $30 and $50 buyin multis

Che
04-29-2004, 03:10 PM
I cut my teeth at Stars so I’m pretty familiar with the competition at most buyin levels there. However, I have only played a few multis at Party, and I’m planning to play several in the near future so I’m interested in feedback on my initial reactions after playing a few $30-$50 buyin tourneys at party:

1. If you play a very tight-aggressive game (whether by choice or just lack of decent cards), opponents usually do not notice (or at least need to see several players die before they are convinced). For example, even if you have folded every hand for the first 30 minutes, except for a KK hand that doubled you up, opponents will still call you with marginal hands when you make a strong raise preflop.
2. If you play a loose-aggressive game, opponents notice very quickly and will call you down with just about anything.

If my reads are right, preflop bluffing is rarely successful in case #1 and is virtually impossible in case #2. “When in doubt, call” seems to be the mantra.

Players at Stars aren’t super-observant or anything, but they do seem to adjust more quickly (especially in the $50+ buyins) than players at Party.

Am I right about the way Party players react to their opponent’s style of play? Or do they just generally play loose-passive without paying much attention to what the other players are doing (i.e. they don’t react)?

I apologize for asking such nebulous questions, but I’m a little surprised by my initial reactions so I wanted to see if I was sizing things up correctly or if I’ve just been at a few atypical tables.

Or maybe I haven’t been paying attention? Hmmm…

All feedback appreciated,
Che

BTW- I know my comments are overgeneralized and that there are good players at Party that do pay attention. I'm just trying to get a feel for the "typical" Party opponent.

Chief911
04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I think that's pretty accurate. I play fairly tight especially in the early levels while I stay outta the way of the all in'rs. But if I play my first hand in 3 orbits, usually there are the same number or callers, even with a raise.

Just my 2cents.

cferejohn
04-29-2004, 08:59 PM
I'll add on that the more the more players go out, the less true that becomes. Once over half the field is gone and the blinds are in the 75/150 range or higher, stealing becomes a lot easier. Probably a couple reasons for this.

1. The bad players go out first. Not always, and not all of them, but on the whole, when half the field is gone, the average skill level of what's left is higher than the average skill level of the starting field.

2. Once players have 'invested' an hour or two, they tighten up since now they really have a shot. Sure this is somewhat fuzzy thinking, but there are plenty of players who sit down at a tournament with an attitude where they are going to either double/triple up in the first hour or not waste their time.

I find what you are saying about adjustments to be true. I blame this as much on the little pics at Stars as anything. it's alot easier to remember that "the guy who's picture is a crying baby is really tight" than "MyNutzRHuge really tight" (at least for me). Yes people take notes, but one doesn't always remember to do so (also the note taking interface is better on Stars, imho; your milage may vary).