PDA

View Full Version : A river checkraise attempt in honor of the old mike l.

Ulysses
04-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero raises, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, Button calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, Hero caps, Button calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>

Hero checks.

Like?

Clarkmeister
04-29-2004, 02:58 PM
What about the chance that you'll get the opportunity to 3-bet if you just bet out?

Ulysses
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the chance that you'll get the opportunity to 3-bet if you just bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like an avg opponent here will bet out the vast majority of hands he is likely to have here. However, if I cap the turn and lead the river, I think many will just call w/ hands like two pair. Of course, the likelihood of 1 bet v. 3 bets and 0 bets v. 2 bets is exactly the question here.

Nate tha' Great
04-29-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it so much. A smart player will check behind and a dumb player will raise anyway and allow you to 3-bet.

PassiveCaller
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
This depends a lot about your opponent. Is he going to crawl up and hide and check now with KQ or a set if you check or still bet? Then you definitely shouldn't check. I think most times here I just bet it because the opponent that'd bet when you checked still in this situation will most likely still reraise you... and I'd take a shot at 3 bets. While at the same time if he is the cautious type you won't get anything from checking so... betting seems better to me here.

gonores
04-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Nate saved me some typing.

PassiveCaller
04-29-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it so much. A smart player will check behind and a dumb player will raise anyway and allow you to 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically what my long winded explaination was meant to say... I think I agree with this.

mike l.
04-29-2004, 03:27 PM
great play im sure he bet his set for you and made the call as well. perfect.

skp
04-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Change "his set" to "his KT or KQ" and we are in concert.

haakee
04-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I agree with Clark on this one.

Gabe
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Looks a lot like two pair.

Ulysses
04-29-2004, 07:46 PM
A good 2+2 shortcut if you want to know anything about a hand posted is to just see if skp has posted to the thread.

I checked. He bet. I checkraised. He called. He had KT, which is more or less the kind of hand I thought he had.

Based on further play w/ him at the table, I can't say for certain whether or not he would have raised. He was aggressive, but didn't get out of line very much and was pretty much straightforward.

Schneids
04-30-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Based on further play w/ him at the table, I can't say for certain whether or not he would have raised. He was aggressive, but didn't get out of line very much and was pretty much straightforward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was SB on this hand and can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that after you capped the turn, I don't think he would have raised a bet on the river. Also, FWIW, this guy has a .59 aggression factor in my PT database -- not that 300 hands is 100% evidence this guy is passive (but combined with my experiences against him I think it's a safe bet).

J_V
04-30-2004, 12:44 AM
I went to through this fancy play mode..trying them all out. They suck unless you are very sure of what's gonna happen, you ahve two dangers..one he wouldve raised your bet out and/or he would check behind.

These plays should be player specific and get them to specifically stop doing something that is annoying you, not an everyday affair.

TimTimSalabim
04-30-2004, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the play might be +EV against an average-IQ player /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HappySushi
04-30-2004, 04:58 AM
Forum crazy.

some say smart player check behind, yet in all the other posts i read now they say "missed a bet" "missed a bet". So they not smart?

Player have something, bet, you checkraise, no crazy, very good waiting. Wait long time to trap. If other guy crazy he bet anyway, bluff. If other guy not crazy he bet because "missed a bet" forum say so.

JV smart too. He right. No crazy with waiting hands, just play good.

But ok play waiting trap sometimes.

Where is big player eleysium. He checkraise too?

Ulysses
04-30-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JV smart too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, JV not smart, JV dumb and also JV bad-looking and cannot get girl.

HappySushi
04-30-2004, 07:20 PM
lots dumb/ugly have nice girl. money. big sushi. see?

who is old mike, father?

DiamondDave
05-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Bet the river. You always bet. It's suspicious if you don't bet. Bet, get raised, and make it three bets.

Garland
05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with betting out the river most of the time and hoping to get the chance to 3-bet, but the added bonus of a tricky check-raise on the river is the opponents may be less inclined to make thin value bets on the river in the future.

Garland