PDA

View Full Version : Stupid or Brilliant Call?

adam61
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Ok this was level IV 50/100 blinds of a Stars $5.50 SNG, and I made a call I couldn't decide if it was smart or stupid.

Here's the situation (7 players left) 4 calls and I check in the BB with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Flop Comes 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB(T2065): Bet 300
Hero BB(T1965): Call
UTG(T1470): Fold
UTG+1(T1490): All-in
MP(T2855): Fold
SB: Call
BB Hero: Call

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Turn 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB: all-in
Hero: all-in

Results later. Here was my thinking tell me how dumb I am. Quick calculation told me I had to call 1190 for a chance at nearly 3800 talking about 3 to 1. I assumed I was against 2 flush draws, or 1 flush draw and 1 two pair or trips. Giving me 6 outs or about 3 to 1 which is what my pot odds were. The turn brought a 3 which assuming no one had trips added more outs of 2 of the 3 jacks and all 3 tens giving me 11 outs. So on the turn it was 455 chips to win about 5000 with odds of about 3 to 1 so the turn call was easy. I'm more curious about the flop call, was it something I should have just gotten out of immediately or was it smart to quickly read opponents check the odds and realize it was about even?

Prickly Pete
04-29-2004, 03:02 PM
I may be a little weak/tight here, but I'd fold to the initial flop bet. Yes, you may have odds to call the 300, but you don't know what's going to hit behind you or hit you on the turn if you miss. Plus, you may hit your straight and still lose to a flush or a boat. And that's when you start punching the dog. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Given that you called the allin on the flop, you can't fold on the turn.

Alternatively, trying to semi-bluff raise the flop bet is an option too, but it takes some stones to do it with that many in the pot.

NotMitch
04-29-2004, 03:23 PM
If you really think you are up against 2 pair/a set and a flush draw why are you calling? Even with 6 outs both those hands have redraws against you, so you wont win everytime you hit one.

Don_Lapre
04-29-2004, 04:28 PM
I would have folded, you have a nice chip lead, no need to risk it on a draw. If you were short stacked it might be OK to call and if you lose move on to the next tourney.

DL

adam61
04-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Yea I ended being up against 2 pair and a nut flush draw, I hit a jack on the river for 2 pair Jacks and 3s and won it and a little more than tripled up. I was thinking it was a pretty marginal call I was just trying to see what others thought.