PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions-Please Read

ncskiier
04-29-2004, 02:11 PM
First a little info:
Lately I've been playing a friendly game with 50-75 year old guys, I'm 30. Mostly holdem, omaha, pineapple, etc. All hi-low no matter, chip declare at the end.

1st ?: I said this is a friendly game. It is the type where everyone will see at least the flop, at least. Pretty much a lottery situation. I know the best way to combat this is to play only premium hands with hi AND low potential. What is the etiquette in this situation? Do I join in on the fun, or do I play my game, my serious game... to win?

2nd ?: Some games we play have SEVERAL community cards that get played and bet one at a time. This creates some big pots and can be very expensive to play. What is the best way strategy in these games?

cnfuzzd
04-29-2004, 02:41 PM
<<<<1st ?: I said this is a friendly game. It is the type where everyone will see at least the flop, at least. Pretty much a lottery situation. I know the best way to combat this is to play only premium hands with hi AND low potential. What is the etiquette in this situation? Do I join in on the fun, or do I play my game, my serious game... to win?>>>

i think that depends on what you want to do. If winning money is on your agenda, then play correctly. Remember, however, correctly doesnt always mean just playing the monsters. Play cards that do very well in monster pots, although i cant speak to the hi-lo aspect. I suck at h/l. I always take the suckers draw. Im such a sucker.

<<<<
2nd ?: Some games we play have SEVERAL community cards that get played and bet one at a time. This creates some big pots and can be very expensive to play. What is the best way strategy in these games? >>>>

Same as above. Just play the cards when they should be played. An example of this arose in my home no limit game a couple of weeks ago. It suddenly became *very* passive, with virtually no p/f raising. This allowed me to expand the playable hands to suited one gappers etc. One player at the table couldnt believe i would keep playing such trash hands, and just kept paying me off. I said something about feeling lucky all the while thinking about implied odds.

peace

john nickle

LetsRock
04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
1. Are you there to socialize or to win? If you're there to win, then play your A-Game. If you find yourself winning too much, be sure to "give a little back" so you don't find yourelf univited. Remeber that a high-lo game will make A2, A3, 23 type hands much more playable. If you're there to socialize, then join in the lottery.

2. I'm not clear how the games you are decribing differ that much from a Holdem or Omaha game. Pay attention to your odds on each street and make decisions apropriateley.

ncskiier
04-29-2004, 06:11 PM
How do they differ? One game has nine cards, turned one at a time, you must play a ROW with two of the five cards in your hand. Usually takes a monster to win. Another has five on the board, five in the hole, play ANY combination of the ten. And another, there are seven pairs of cards on the board turned one pair at a time that play with three of five in your hand. I rule in the holdem and omaha games but these others give me some trouble. I guess if I just stick to premiums I'll be ok but the pots get so big with these games because there're so many betting rounds.

LetsRock
04-30-2004, 09:45 AM
In crazy games like these, you generally need to adjust your play to account for what you ned to win.

IN Holdem for example, you know that trips is usually a pretty decent hand (I think I read somewhere that trip 9s is tha average winning hand in holdem) and you can usually see when trips are in danger.

If your crazy game dictates that you need big quads to win (for example), then adjust your play so that you don't chase hands that won't beat big quads etc.

Crazy games are a lot more like lottery and all you can do is look for good opportunities to score big, but stay out of marginal situations.

Lottery Larry
04-30-2004, 03:46 PM
"And another, there are seven pairs of cards on the board turned one pair at a time that play with three of five in your hand"

Can you tell me the name of this game and a little more about how it is run?
Do you have to play with a specific pair of cards ONLY plus the 3 from your hand (reverse Omaha?) Can you use different pairs for high hand vs. low hand?

ncskiier
04-30-2004, 06:03 PM
They refer to it as "the tree" and you've pretty much got the gist of it. Any of the seven pairs with three of the five in your hand. They play that you must use five totally different cards to go both ways, but they also play that you must use different hole cards to go both ways in omaha. Go figure.

Lottery Larry
05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
"They play that you must use five totally different cards to go both ways"

How is this possible if you have to use 3 from your hand and you only get 5 cards total in your hand? Wouldn't you need 6 cards to go along with 2 different board pairs?

We tried this last night- wasn't too bad. We added an ending to the game (pay to replace one of your hand cards).

ncskiier
05-07-2004, 05:48 PM
You're right. In that game you can use any from your hand to go both ways. It's confusing because there are just a couple games that you can mix-n-match. There have been a few of times where I have forgotten and gone both ways, needing to use my ace to make both hands. And if you declare hi and lo and can't do it you win niether. Talk about going on tilt.