PDA

View Full Version : pronunciation of esfandiari

aaronjacobg
04-29-2004, 11:25 AM
during the show last night VVP kept pronouncing antonio's last name es-fand-ah-ree. I was under the impression that it was pronounced es-fand-ee-ahree. minor point but if anyone knows...

SaintAces
04-29-2004, 11:30 AM
I have trouble.

slogger
04-29-2004, 11:38 AM
First of all, it was Sexton (not VVP) who butchered Antonio's name.

Second, pretty sure its: neg-GRAH-no

The Gift Of Gab
04-29-2004, 11:54 AM
From the man himself. (http://www.tommyangelo.com/articles/playing_with_the_field_at_the_world_series.htm)

aas
05-01-2004, 07:14 PM
It's exactly as you thought. esfandee-ahree. 100% positive.

MicroBob
05-01-2004, 08:14 PM
last year they mispronounced Hellmuth's name in his first WPT appearance...but seemed to straighten it out by his 2nd appearance.

to my knowledge, it's Helm-yooth (as in 'fountain of youth')...not Helm-uth.

Lon McEchran (sp??) pronounced it Helm-yooth during the WSOP on ESPN.

most professional sportscasters will either check with the players themselves (or with the team's public-relations representative) to get the names correct.
this just part of the basic preparation work.

they will then practice it a few times to get it into their head....and many will write out the pronounciation on whatever stat-sheets or notes they have prepared.

there is really no excuse for mispronouncing someone's name on a national broadcast....particularly a broadcast like the WPT where a solid percentage of the commentary is inserted during production AFTER the event.

to some athletes, it is incredibly offensive to have their name mispronounced by an announcer, either over the P.A. system or on the radio or television.

Army Eye
05-01-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
during the show last night VVP kept pronouncing antonio's last name es-fand-ah-ree. I was under the impression that it was pronounced es-fand-ee-ahree. minor point but if anyone knows...

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Sexton. VVP was saying it correctly. Sexton even butchered it when he was on the live mic after Antonio won. ANTONIO ESFAN-DARI!