PDA

View Full Version : $3 NL PokerStars - 15 left - too aggressive?

WinBig
04-29-2004, 11:14 AM
$3 NL tourney on PokerStars. 15 players left with blinds 4000/8000 and 400 ante. I have T59000 which is below average. I feel like I need to make a move soon. Chip leader with T217000 raises it to T24000 from early position and it is folded to me on the button. I have Ac9c and push. Folded back to chip leader who thinks for a while and calls with AhJd. No miracle 9 to save me.

Should I have waited for a better spot to push? I feel like I made a mistake since my all-in wasn't big enough to scare off the chip leader. He was getting 3-1 to call with what likely was a decent hand so a pretty easy decision for him. What hands would I need to see to go all-in in this situation?

I tried to use Bison's hand converter but I got a timeout error. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a file I can download instead of a link? Thanks!

TomCollins
04-29-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm hard pressed to think when I would want to reraise with A9. I probably fold AJ here too unless the raiser is a complete clown.

nolanfan34
04-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Well, this is a tough situation toward the end of a tournament. I think a lot depends on the play of the chip leader at your table. Was he/she raising often and bullying the small stacks? If so, and you felt like there's a chance that they're raising with K-10 and J-9 types of hands, then I don't mind coming over the top all-in here.

But if this player has only been raising with solid hands that you've seen, then I would rather be the first one in the pot if I'm going to play A9s. There are just too many hands you're behind to reraise a solid player with that.

You don't have a ton of room to manuever, yes, but at least you're on the button and have a few hands to hopefully pick a better spot to go all in.

SaintAces
04-29-2004, 11:45 AM
either a slight favorite or completely dominantated - a push is suicide

WinBig
04-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input. It is obvious to me now that it was a bad play. The chip leader was stealing from all positions but I need to have a better hand to re-raise here. Would you push with only AA, KK, AK suited? Would you include AKos and QQ as well?

nolanfan34
04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Personally, I'd say yes, all of those that you mentioned, and possibly JJ and TT, and AQo and AQs as well. If the big stack had been doing a lot of blind stealing like you mentioned, I think you can get away with being a little more liberal here. But not with Ax because of exactly what you ran into. My opinion at least.

SossMan
04-29-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't like the push there. If you had a bigger or smaller stack, or you were in EP (and the bully was UTG, so your blinds would be approaching) it would be a better move. With a bigger stack, the bully may have folded. With a smaller stack, you wouldn't have had many choices. You still have enough of a stack to steal blinds when it's folded to you in LP, though. I would have waited for a spot to get your money in first.
I would have made the call w/ 99-AA, any AK or AQ, and probably AJs. Remember, the gap concept really comes into play here at this stage in the tourney.
Yes, you do need to make a move soon, but I would wait until you can make the first move.

SaintAces
04-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm very aggresive but I like to get my money in ONLY when I am winning.