PDA

View Full Version : two questionable hands

06-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I'm in the SB, seat 2, and find KsKd. 3 limpers to loose guy who makes it 6 to go, button calls, I call, BB calls, 7 see the flop for two bets each. Flop comes K-J-8 rainbow. I check, loose guy bets, called to me, I raise, everybody calls. The BB notices my CR, nobody else seems to. The turn is a blank, like a 7 or something. I bet out, the 6 seat raises to $12, it folds to me. I look at the board for three or four seconds and raise to $18. "What's he got?", the raiser is all concerned now. The river is a black 4. I bet, he calls with J-8, I drag in close to a $100 pot. Anybody take exception to how I played it?

Hand two: I raise pre-flop with A-Qo, UTG+1. 4 to the flop for two bets each. The flop is 8-9-10. I check and call. Turn is a blank, I check and fold. River is a Jack, checked to loose guy, who bets his 6-7 and gets called. Does anybody stay for the river here with my hand?

Good session, 2 hours, +$109. I'm worried that my play is classic "weak-tight", though. I'm usually the tightest player at the table by far. I routinely toss Q-Jo into the muck--a solid raising hand for a lot of these guys. I tossed K-Qo UTG without hesitation today. Is that pushing the limits of tightness?

06-12-2002, 09:27 PM
I see now reason not to 3-bet pre-flop with KK.

When I flop a set out of the blinds, I almost always bet the flop in the hopes of getting an opportunity to 3-bet.

06-12-2002, 09:33 PM
On the turn, you probably have a call although it's not automatic. Since you're drawing to a one-card straight, you may end up splitting the pot with somebody. However, spiking just an overcard will win often enough to make a turn call worthwhile. The biggest problem here is that your Queen overcard could complete a straight for someone else.