PDA

View Full Version : Party $15-30, straight-forward KQ?

LarsVegas
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
$15-30 Party Poker, a couple of sit-outs and empty seats so this hand is dealt to 7 or 8 players. I raise from EP with the mighty KQo. I am called by one player in MP and the blinds.

Flop: 7c-5h-4c. Checked around.

Turn: Kh. SB checks, the big blind who has been chatting endlessly about how good the games are and is currently showing off a $10k+ stack on the table, bets. I raise. MP cold-calls, the big blind calls.

River: 8s. Big blind bets, I fold.

Comments?

lars

Inthacup
04-29-2004, 11:27 AM
I would bet the flop. There's a good chance you can get MP to fold, buying you the button and getting rid of any junk the blinds may be holding. It also makes the turn a lot easier to play.

I like your turn play.

I would not fold this river. I could see him making this play with a K, not wanting the river to be checked through. It's also a good time for him to take a stab at the pot.

Bad fold, IMO.

Cup

Barry
04-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't know how you can fold TP for 1 bet on the river.

Maybe that's why he says the games are good.....

CrackerZack
04-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Bet the flop, call the river. I can't imagine laying that down for 1 bet there. The coldcall seems drawish but unless he's real bad, I'd guess its hearts, not a 6. Gotta call, this is worse than 3-betting from MP with 87s and 2 posters behind you.

Clarkmeister
04-29-2004, 12:10 PM
If it was the 8h I'd like your fold, but as it is, I don't. I know you are worried about the coldcall behind you, but he would have likely bet an open end straight draw when checked to on the flop. So his turn coldcall is far more likely a flush draw than anything else. If the bettor beats you, so be it, that's poker, but you should call.

LarsVegas
04-29-2004, 01:37 PM
The MP called so we got to see the big blind's A6o for a rivered straight. But I guess I have to re-evalute the wiseness of the river fold after reading the responses so far.

However, I am surprised at the harsh critique I am getting for not betting the flop. There are three opponents, a co-ordinated two-tone board which I don't connect with at all and my hands has very weak showdown value, which means a bet here sort of commits me to betting until I meet resistance, unlike with an A high hand which can check behind on the river if MP gets out of my way before then.

I am a bit curious as to whether these views really represents the majority of the forum here?

lars

Manzanita
04-29-2004, 05:40 PM
LarsVegas,

Since you opened the hand preflop with a raise I would expect your opponents to be playing fairly decent hands (with the possible exception of the BB who is already half-way in and sees 2 others who have already called your raise). The flop is pretty ragged, coming 7-high. When the blinds show weakness by checking I like a bet here. While you probably won't be able to pick up the pot right away (someone with overcards will probably take a card off) you may be able to do so by betting again on the turn, assuming that it isn't too scary.

Of course if this is an on-line game where no one folds and you have to show down the best hand to win then my comments above do not apply...

Manzanita