PDA

View Full Version : a dodgy line ?

stripsqueez
04-29-2004, 08:45 AM
10/20 6 max - ok game - both guys in this hand are a bit loose and a bit chooky

i get AsKh as the BB - UTG calls and its folded to the SB who completes - i check

flop is Qh Qc 2d - SB checks - i bet and they both call

turn is Ah - all check

river is Kd - SB bets - i call and UTG folds

too bizarre ??

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 09:10 AM
i don't know what chooky means so perhaps that fact makes me miss the boat completely here.

I think you're problem is the turn check here. If you would've bet you would have all the information you need for the river. Now you don't know [censored] anymore, he could be on a K thinking everybody missed, he could be on an A, he could be on a Q theres no telling.

For them calling your flopbet doesn't give away that much either. Would you really see a BB checking preflop and betting out a made set? (certainly with such a small pot preflop) You're in perfect disguise here, so if i were them i'd put you on anything but a set i guess. If it was you and me headsup i would certainly try to cr you on the turn with almost any hand.

Bottomline here: i think your play sucked /images/graemlins/frown.gif

sorry to say this, cause almost any of your posts i read with great interest and are of lot of help in developing my own game but this is how i feel, no offense

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 09:14 AM
and if you'd raised preflop a bet on this flop would've made them clueless about your current situation. But at least a set, overpair or big overcards would've been a possibility. Now they put you on a lousy 2 pair (QQ22) i think

stripsqueez
04-29-2004, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know what chooky means so perhaps that fact makes me miss the boat completely here

[/ QUOTE ]

chooky means bad - i dislike the local nomenclature

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're problem is the turn check here. If you would've bet you would have all the information you need for the river

[/ QUOTE ]

i decided i had enough information on the flop - it might not of been the correct information but thats what i decided - neither of them has an A

[ QUOTE ]
Bottomline here: i think your play sucked /images/graemlins/frown.gif

sorry to say this, cause almost any of your posts i read with great interest and are of lot of help in developing my own game but this is how i feel, no offense

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean i havent replied to a post of yours and offended you ? - mental note; vitriolic criticism when next replying to Apocalypse

jujujaja34
04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Stripsqueez,

I'm trying to think of a good reason to check my option with AK preflop against two chooking opponents, but I'm drawing a blank. Just trying to mix it up? Ummm...ok... that's fine I guess...

Considering the preflop action (or lack thereof), I do like the check on the turn. I really don't want to get raised/checkraised on the turn. You're either way ahead or way behind. If you're ahead its fairly likely you induce a bluff and if you're behind your loss is minimal. I don't see better or checking as being substantially different EV in the long run.

Preflop raise......
Postflop the line seems ok..........

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 09:40 AM
why on earth are you taking this personal? Nobody can tell you if they think for once you don't make a good play? I tell you si think you messed up because of the reasons i give. If you find these reasons moronic of any kind (wich could be true of course), you can reply with your reasons. If you are right, that would help my play, if i am right, god forbid, i could help your play. Thats why i post here period. No grutches, no nottin' , i don't even know why you would assume such a thing. Dissapointing to say the least

stripsqueez
04-29-2004, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to think of a good reason to check my option with AK preflop against two chooking opponents, but I'm drawing a blank. Just trying to mix it up? Ummm...ok... that's fine I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

way more offensive to tell me to raise more pre-flop

all true but

no reason - i checked pokertracker and it reckons i do this 8% of the time after about 100 examples

chooking isnt a word - think chicken and add

stripsqueez
04-29-2004, 10:01 AM
i'm not taking it personal

sorry - i thought it was funny - i dont always say exactly what i think but i'm not quick to spare your ego if i think its crap - i thought it ironic you would want to spare mine

i think you overestimate the BB when you say that he will bet out with a Q - maybe thats the chooky thing - i think the rest of your post is pretty much spot on

gonores
04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Is that your goofy hand of the week? I'd save the preflop check for just a slightly worse hand...AJ or something like that. I love the line postflop.

Apocalypse
04-29-2004, 12:00 PM
sorry my bad. My english isn't well enough to spot sarcasm or irony i guess /images/graemlins/blush.gif

and i promise i won't spare your ego in the future any further /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stripsqueez
04-29-2004, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that your goofy hand of the week?

[/ QUOTE ]

its my bragging hand of the week - SB showed Q7o

the pre-flop choice is strange and unusual - it is simply in the category of i do it sometimes and i'm not going to pretend its based on who my opponents are

post flop i like to play hands in a way which makes what i did previously right even if what i did previously was strange and unusual - i always have a plan even if its a bad plan

the first time i ever played holdem a good player gave me a shred of advice - it was that if a pair flops and 3 guys are willing to put money in the pot more often than not one of them has 3 of a kind - grossly over simplified advice but its a useful rule of thumb - i had a feeling one of these guys had a Q - neither of them improved on the turn but both of them were capable of taking a shot with nothing on either the turn or the river - i like to think i can always make the right decision even if the right decision is wildly against the odds - its not that i honestly expect that i will always make the right decision its just that i dont want to limit my capacity to play outside the "odds" when its right to do so

and of-course if you play outside the odds and it works its important to brag about it