PDA

View Full Version : Any Way Out of This?

37offsuit
04-29-2004, 08:08 AM
$10 SnG
First hand.

Hero is dealt Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB.
Folded to the Button, the Button raises T60, SB folds, Hero raises T300 Button calls.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, Button raises T200, hero reraise T400, Button goes all in and Hero calls.

Nothing else matters at this point. The button turns over pocket fours for the flopped quads and I'm out on the first hand.

I was trying to take down the pot preflop with the T300 raise. When he called it I was going to take one stab on the flop and then shut down if he called or toss it if he reraised. I figured he had pocket Ks or As. When I flopped a monster, I don't think there was much I could have done at that point.

Anyone play any of this differently?

TylerD
04-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Nope! Bad luck.

William
04-29-2004, 08:25 AM
This is just a bad beat story.
Nothing interesting.

William

Stoneii
04-29-2004, 08:28 AM
never ever ever could I get away from that flop.

Stagemusic
04-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Nice hand. Sorry about the beat. Next /images/graemlins/wink.gif

woodguy
04-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Get away from it?
Only 1 hand can beat you on that flop, its just too bad he had it.

steeser
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Yes, I would have played it differently....if I was the button!!! If I flop quads and am checked to in a NL tourney, I'm probably going to be more than willing to check and let my opponent catch up.

Just my opinion, I guess the way he played it worked for him, but what if you were on AK? Does he get any value out of you in that pot? But if he checks he gives you a chance to bet at it on the turn or river, or hit an A or K to pay him off.

Get away from that hand? I would lose my house on that hand.

PrayingMantis
04-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Post-flop, if you *do* get out of it, you probably shouldn't play any more poker. You played it fine.

However, I think there's a serious flaw in your *thinking* after his PF call:

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to take down the pot preflop with the T300 raise. When he called it I was going to take one stab on the flop and then shut down if he called or toss it if he reraised. I figured he had pocket Ks or As.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are giving way way too much credit to your opponent here, in a first hand of a 10$ game. He open-raised 60 PF from the button (can be done with basically anything), and called for 240 more. Many loose fish at the 10$ will call that with most aces, most pairs and some other holdings too. QQ is a premium hand. If you mean that on *any* non-monster flop you are going to "take a stab" and shut down if called or reraised, you are playing very weak.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
There is a very easy way to prevent this from happening. Quit playing poker.

37offsuit
04-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry, posted that rather quickly this morning. I meant if an A or a K hit the flop and then he either called or reraised my bet, or if rags flopped and I bet, then he put me all in. I wasn't planning on going to war with this hand, considering the possible holdings.

37offsuit
04-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Does anyone limp here because of position, or bet out more to know exactly where they are? If he reraised me preflop, I probably would have chucked the queens. I guess I expect players to play better than they actually do.

I think maybe I throw away winners earlier in tournaments too often, but then, I almost always finish in the money at these low limits, where I see good hands getting beaten by suck outs a lot in the early rounds.