PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river or lose

06-12-2002, 02:41 PM
I find myself in this situation often enough to wonder if there is a standard way to play this.

Online 3/6. I'm in the Big Blind and get a free play with 7h 5h. There is one MP limper and the SB in the hand.

*** FLOP *** : [ 3c Jh 9h ]

SB checks and I bet my 4 flush. I think that's a pretty normal play. Anyone disagree?

both of them call me.

*** TURN *** : [ 3c Jh 9h ] [ 8c ]

I've picked up a gutshot now too (I know it's a double gutshot, but I wouldn't be too fond of the bottom part of a 4 straight on the board.

SB checks again and I bet again. This is the part of the play I'm never too sure of. DO you check here or bet?

Betting gives me a chance to win without hitting my hand, and builds a nice pot if I do hit and someone calls. It also costs me more when someone else has a hand and is waiting for the turn to pounce. I obviously would have to call a raise.

In the hand the MP called and the SB dropped.

*** RIVER *** : [ 3c Jh 9h 8c ] [ 2s ]

Nothing..Zilch. I can beat him if he's playing 74, but nothing else. I almost always bet here. I'm getting 5-1 on the bluff. If I showdown a loser I think it might buy me more calls later when I've got a winner.

Comments on the turn and River play are appreciated.

In the example hand he folded.

06-12-2002, 03:51 PM
I'd play it the exact same way. He looks like a flush or straight draw and will fold his hand more often than you need him to. Another option would be to check-raise the flop, but I like betting out better.

The CR comes is a potential play because in these short handed pots, the last player on the flop sometimes bets as a matter of course. He may have nothing and the CR gets out over cards the third player may have so if you miss your flush but hit a pair it could still be good. You'll often find you win with a bet on the turn doing this. I want to know a bit about the player on my right though.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

06-13-2002, 01:48 AM
David,

Kudos to you for following thru on your bluff. It's hard not to put you on less than top pair. I'll use this same play in a shorthanded pot if I can determine that my opponents are drawing.

I have a friend who plays 3-6 who will use a similar play in last position, usually with ace high, which he will bet on the flop and turn. He usually has only 1 or 2 opponents on the river... then a blank hits. Now for some insane reason, he CHECKS after both opponents have passed and obviously missed their draws. I often sit next to him when we play and just want to throttle him for playing so weak.

Sorry, off on a tangent. Anyway, like you said, it is worth the chance to pick up a pot. If you get caught, muck face down and your opponents won't be any wiser. Two pots like this a session spell the difference between a small loss and a small win.

Well played David.

Mike

06-13-2002, 10:18 AM
With a flush and double gutshot, a bet is automatic. It is quite rare to get so many outs. Of course, if you hit you should be also anticipate your opponents' action. Is it possible that he made a better hand, etc?

If your opponent had a straight here, he would have either bet out or raised you.

06-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Now for some insane reason, he CHECKS after both opponents have passed and obviously missed their draws. I often sit next to him when we play and just want to throttle him for playing so weak.

If they did both miss their draws, then Ace high IS good. He *should* check.

You bet on the river to:

1) Have a worse hand call.

2) Have a better hand fold.

Just because you don't have a pair doesn't mean you need to bluff. I've won a great many pots with Ace high.