PDA

View Full Version : Reading Recommendations

Scotch78
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm playing one table, ten person limit hold 'em tournaments online, where the blinds increase rapidly. Can anyone recommend articles or books that I should read? Thank you.

Scott

AleoMagus
04-29-2004, 02:08 AM
2+2 message boards are always a good place to find the occasional gem of wisdom

As far as books go, I personally like:

Hold'em Poker
Hold'em Poker for Advanced players
Tournament poker for Advanced players
Theory of Poker

These are all 2+2 books and all written by David Sklansky (and Mason Malmuth)

If you have not read much yet, I'd start with 'Hold'em poker', and then move on to 'The Theory of Poker' and 'Tournament Poker for Advanced Players'. 'Theory of Poker' is by far the best book on poker you will buy, though hard to immediately implement.

Other books that I like are

'Supersystem' by Doyle Brunson
'Play Poker' like the Pros by Phil Hellmuth (I am very rare in this regard. Many people don't like this book, especially with regards to limit ring play. Still, I think it is a very good book)
'Killer Poker' by John Vorhaus. Mostly a book on discipline and mindset, but very good

Other great resources are CardPlayer.com and a few other internet sites. Cardplayer has a lot of free articles and audio files.

Hope this isn't too general. Many are looking for tournament specific info and sng specific info, but sadly, there isn't too much out there. If I ever become anything but a small-timer, maybe I'll write a book.

Regards
Brad S

Stagemusic
04-29-2004, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2+2 message boards are always a good place to find the occasional gem of wisdom

As far as books go, I personally like:

Hold'em Poker
Hold'em Poker for Advanced players
Tournament poker for Advanced players
Theory of Poker

These are all 2+2 books and all written by David Sklansky (and Mason Malmuth)

If you have not read much yet, I'd start with 'Hold'em poker', and then move on to 'The Theory of Poker' and 'Tournament Poker for Advanced Players'. 'Theory of Poker' is by far the best book on poker you will buy, though hard to immediately implement.

Other books that I like are

'Supersystem' by Doyle Brunson
'Play Poker' like the Pros by Phil Hellmuth (I am very rare in this regard. Many people don't like this book, especially with regards to limit ring play. Still, I think it is a very good book)
'Killer Poker' by John Vorhaus. Mostly a book on discipline and mindset, but very good

Other great resources are CardPlayer.com and a few other internet sites. Cardplayer has a lot of free articles and audio files.

Hope this isn't too general. Many are looking for tournament specific info and sng specific info, but sadly, there isn't too much out there. If I ever become anything but a small-timer, maybe I'll write a book.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

AM has put together a good list for you. I would add one book to the list though. Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem by TJ Cloutier and Tom McEvoy. Some excellent tips in there about WHY to do certain things.

DrPhysic
04-29-2004, 06:58 AM
I agree with AM and Stage completely. My additions to their list are:
Improve Your Poker Bob Ciaffone,
Middle Limit Holdem Bob Ciaffone & Jim Brier, and
Psychology of Poker, Al Schoonmaker

You are now up to a couple of months of reading, but a super solid list of poker, limit holdem, and tournament books. AM is correct, however, that Theory of Poker is the one you read first, last, and every three months as long as you play.

Doc

Stoneii
04-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Funny how I always find myself reading them again when I hit a bad spell. I've found it's also true what they say that you get different info each time you read them but that's probably because I started from a low knowledge base

G'Luck

stoneii

Stoneii
04-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Sorry

Meant to add, "them" being Theory of Poker, TPFAP, and yes, even Phil Helmuths book Play poker like the pros Aleo /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I also have one from the Late Night Poker tv series we get here in UK (My Dad gifted it to me - simple and easy reading to start).

High on shopping list is Psychology of Poker as I've heard great reports on it.

Cheers

stoneii

woodguy
04-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Doc and AM hit it spot on.
I particulary like Doc's recommendation to re-read theory of poker every 3 months. Everytime I read it, I understand more and get more tools to add to my poker toolbox.
When reading the NLHE section of "Super System" understand why and how DB bets the way he does, it works. (but you may not want to be quite as aggressive as he is)
Some of the best advice in all those books is:
- DONT PLAY MEDIOCRE CARDS
- DONT PLAY OUT OF POSITION
Before I read those books and starting surfing this forum I was an "o.k." player making a little bit of $$$ while seeing about 30% of the flops.
Now I am a better than average player with a decent ROI seeing about 20%-23% of the flops.
Cheers,
woodguy

DrPhysic
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Woodguy,

You left one out:

-THE GAP CONCEPT: IT TAKES A BETTER HAND TO CALL A BET THAN TO MAKE THE SAME BET.

Doc

DrPhysic
04-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Stoneii,

I gave my copy of hellmush's book to somebody i don't like at my friday night poker game.

Borrow some lunch money from the kids to get POP sooner.

Doc

hyde
04-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Many of the books you read will tell what the good hands are. I read "Inside the Poker Mind" by John Feeney and learned why I was playing bad hands sometimes.......Now if I can just stop playing the rest of my bad hands........

I thought it a valuable read after reading several of the others that addressed cards and position already suggested here.

hyde

AleoMagus
05-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Well holy crap, I am excited

A sequel to supersystem. I just found out. Tell me I am not the only guy to just hear about this.

Apparently due to release in Oct. An all new book with new games (and I suspect... tournament play) sections. A whopping 624 pages!

Contributions by:
Bobby Baldwin
Lyle Berman
Todd Brunson
Mike Caro
Johnny Chan
Barry Greenstein
Jennifer Harman
Danny Negreanu
Chip Reese

This could be good

Regards
Brad S

woodguy
05-02-2004, 04:06 PM
right as usual Doc

AleoMagus
05-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, apparently others did already know about this because I found this (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1580421369.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) on our own 2+2 books/software forum

Have I mentioned that I am excited?
Brad S

eastbay
05-02-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, apparently others did already know about this because I found this (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1580421369.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) on our own 2+2 books/software forum

Have I mentioned that I am excited?
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda liked the old one. Mostly because of the EV I collect from calling all-ins with 4-flushes and various other draws.

eastbay

Edge34
05-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Call me a nit...

That picture of the cover says "Danny Niegro" or some such....now, I may be asking a stupid question, but...

Who the HELL IS THAT?

I'm still gonna check this out though.

-Edge

AleoMagus
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
The same thing was discussed on the books/software forum.

The other list I got is exactly the same except it has Daniel Negreanu instead, so I think it must be a misprint

Regards
Brad S