PDA

View Full Version : 2 drawing slim hands

06-12-2002, 11:52 AM
So I get to Canterbury and miss the one open spot at 6 12 by 3 seconds. I get on the board for 6 12 to 3 6 hold em, hang around for a while, finally work up the nerve to take a seat in the 3 6 stud when I'm told they're starting a new 3 6 hold em. I head over there and take seat 7. A fishy foreign guy (FFG) takes seat 8 and draws the button. First hand is dealt, UTG limps, an EP raises, 2 coldcalls to me, I look down to JhJs and 3 bet. FFG coldcalls 3, more people call, the EP raiser 4 bets, everyone calls, chips grow wings and fly towards the center of the table, fire and brimstone fall from the sky and 7 people go to the flop for 4 bets.

Flop: Th 9d 3h

Its checked to me, I bet, all 6 people call.

Turn: 4d

Checked to me again, I bet, all 6 people call again. I'm in big deep serious trouble here, plus I think the table is buckling from the weight...

River: 5c [4d Th 9d 3h]

I say out loud, "well that was a brick". Its checked to me, I bet, FFG immediately calls and I know I'm beat. Everyone else folds, I show, and he predictably shows pocket 5s. I'm then called for the 6 12.

I think I screwed up here. The right play was to also check the flop and raise the turn (or fold if its an overcard, period). Someone with a ten or a nine would have bet the turn when it was checked through. The FFG actually did have the odds to call on the flop for his 2 outer - not the turn, but I guess that didn't matter anyways. Ah well, I smiled, shrugged, racked up and took my seat at the 6 12.

I killed them. I got some decent cards, hit a few flops, and played them hard and showed down - then stole 3 pots in about a half an hour with nothing. Then this hand came up.

Extremely loose somewhat aggressive betting station (BS) in MP open limps, button limps, SB completes and I check in the BB with Qs8d.

Flop: Ks Qc 3h

SB checks, I check, BS bets, folded to me and I call.

Turn: 8c

I checkraise the BS who calls.

River: Kh [8c Ks Qc 3h]

Grrr! I check, but the BS checks and shows Q5o and we chop it up. I think either betting or checkraising the flop is mandatory here.. I played it like a pussy, really. I also think a river bet is mandatory after the way I played it - but I figured he wouldn't call the turn checkraise without a K.. shows what I know. I said forget it, and racked up next orbit with more money in chips I've ever had in my short career so far, two hours after I sat down. I glance at the FFG's stack on the way out and see him down to the felt - he had at least $250 in chips after that first hand. Some times everything is right in the world...