PDA

View Full Version : Yet another wanna-be-pro

pudley4
04-28-2004, 01:05 PM
No, not me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/040428)

Good luck with this:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to find a guru, ... somebody like Phil Hellmuth, Jr.,

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be interesting reading

J.R.
04-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Routine poker coverage by the mainstream media is good. Go ESPN.com

MaxPower
04-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Looks like he is writing a book which rips off the idea from Anthony Holden's "Big Deal".

Good luck to him.

Stagemusic
04-28-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Routine poker coverage by the mainstream media is good. Go ESPN.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way. The article was extremely well written and easy to read. This should be a big plus for the industry.

wm r the rake
04-28-2004, 04:09 PM
sounds similiar to Lion tales...his articles are from wpt events and tourney play...interesting stuff
http://www.brodietech.com/liontales/blog.htm

daryn
04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
oh my god he mentioned Frenchy, hahahahahah.

this is funny beyond belief.

TheGrifter
04-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I know exactly who he's talking about regarding that NL game.

That 5-5NL game at foxwoods, after midnight, is rough. Most of the regulars are real assholes.

DanS
04-28-2004, 05:09 PM
"There was the self-adoring college student from Boston, whose favorite move was to stare in disbelief at anyone with the chutzpah to bet into him."

Daryn, you made the article, congrats! lol j/k

Dan

Andy B
04-28-2004, 05:23 PM
I've never actually met Daryn myself, and yet I thought exactly the same thing when I read the article.

daryn
04-28-2004, 07:13 PM
hey we met! sort of.

Andy B
04-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't count exchanging a brief glance where I think, "man, that kid looks like Mike Piazza," and you think, "I've seen that guy's mug on the internet someplace." Next time I get out to Foxwoods (not high on my priority list right now), we can introduce ourselves, if only so I can meet a poster who's more obnoxious than my close personal friend Vehn. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vehn
04-28-2004, 11:11 PM
eff you /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don't you owe me $21?

Andy B
04-29-2004, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eff you

[/ QUOTE ]

Now is that called for? I suppose my comments weren't either. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are you saying you're not obnoxious? Or are you saying that you're not my close personal friend? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you owe me $21?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, yes I do.

I've heard it said that if you lend someone $20, and you never see him again, it was probably worth it.

You haven't been at CP like the last seventeen times I've been there. Thought maybe you'd quit gambling or something. Either that or you're playing on-line. Send me a PM. I can get out there any night next week. I think. If I still have $21 left after this weekend.

Should have made a last-(not-much-)longer bet.

wrongpond
04-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Hell, it held my interest, and if he needs to put on the dressings he put on to hall in the readers, fine, just as long as he's gonna encourage them to take their money to the tables.

Vehn
04-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Nah I still gambool out there some. I'll be there tomorrow for antoine (http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040305-084350-9384r.htm) day, which is a lot like the aces promotion come to think about it. But I'm playing there like 2-3 times a week lately because I'm lazy and the 30/60 has trouble going some days it seems.

OrangeHeat
04-29-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But not all of them. Because -- and here comes my first piece of advice -- what separates the men from the boys in poker is world-class bluffing ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/sarcasm] Definitely the defining quality of a good poker player [/sarcasm]

Orange

nothumb
04-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Did anyone else find the story about Richard Viguerie and the NOW contribution really, really funny? I thought that was a laugh and a half.

MrDannimal
04-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Not the fairest edit, there. He said:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to find a guru, a poker-playing Carlos Castaneda to guide me through the strange new world of this game that an astonishing 50 million Americans have taken up and that millions more have watched from their bar stools and living room sofas during the 14 championships that were televised on ESPN and the Travel Channel last year. Maybe somebody like Phil Hellmuth, Jr., ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is a lot less "off the wall" then you try to make it look. And even if he did, it's not like Phil is a terrible player. He could pick a worse mentor. Phil's book might not be all that good, but I'd bet you get a lot more out of him with regular, live, 1 on 1 discussion.

pudley4
04-29-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not the fairest edit, there. He said:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to find a guru, a poker-playing Carlos Castaneda to guide me through the strange new world of this game that an astonishing 50 million Americans have taken up and that millions more have watched from their bar stools and living room sofas during the 14 championships that were televised on ESPN and the Travel Channel last year. Maybe somebody like Phil Hellmuth, Jr., ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is a lot less "off the wall" then you try to make it look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I forgot that quotes within posts here are supposed to be checked and double-checked to make sure the intent is kept intact /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And even if he did, it's not like Phil is a terrible player. He could pick a worse mentor. Phil's book might not be all that good, but I'd bet you get a lot more out of him with regular, live, 1 on 1 discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, lots of great instruction:

Lesson 1:

How to whine when you get sucked out on

Lesson 2:

Making the big laydown (and then showing it and telling everyone why you are so good)

Lesson 3:

Sparring with Sam Grizzle (verbally and physically)

Lesson 4:

Getting into your opponent's soul (Note: There's no actual instruction here, it's just Phil saying "I don't know how I do it, I just do it. So just do it")

TylerD
04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
You're saying you wouldn't take advice from Phil Hellmuth, arguably one of the best and definately one of the most successful tournament poker players of all time?

tpir90036
04-29-2004, 04:39 PM
he used the word flotsam more than once. he should have replaced the second "flotsam" with "jetsam" to change things up a bit. i know that the people were not technically thrown off of a plane....but you get the idea.

MrDannimal
04-30-2004, 09:43 AM
There's a difference between checking and re-checking and taking it out of context to make the author look like some wingnut assclown because he's a Hellmuth fanboy.

You don't like Hellmuth, fine. You're going way out on a limb, there. But you cannot argue that he's not an excellent poker player. And I would find it hard to believe that if you spent 80 hours with him, one on one, no cameras around, open minded, talking poker and listening and letting him teach you about NL tourney play that you wouldn't come out of it a better player.

I'm not meaning you specifically there, but just random good but far from great poker player.