PDA

View Full Version : The Makings of a Champion

andyfox
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Jack Nicklaus said he's about through playing competitive golf. "I know I can't compete at the level I used to compete," Nicklaus said. "If I go out and finish in the top 10 and that's a great week, then I know it's time to hang up your spikes."

Contrast that attitude with those who finish sixth in a tournament and consider it a good week. Different goals, I suppose, but it's no accident that Nicklaus was the greatest.

MaxPower
04-28-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jack Nicklaus said he's about through playing competitive golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't he been saying this for 15 years? I'll believe it when I see it.

I love Nicklaus. I even have an autographed photo that he sent me when I was a kid. I think the thing with him is that he doesn't enjoy just playing golf or entertaining the crowd. He needs to win or compete to get satisfaction.

Homer
04-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Jack Nicklaus said he's about through playing competitive golf.

He says this about as often as people here say they are through with poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie
04-28-2004, 07:51 PM
I agree with the others. If he's saying he's quitting, QUIT!!!

Michael Jordan quit.
Evander Holyfield quit. (Even had a heart attack in the ring)
Muhammad Ali quit. (3 times)
Mario Lemiux quit. (i know i spelled his name wrong)
The Who quit. (at least twice)
Kiss quit. (I saw their farewell tour)
The Eagles quit.

The list goes on and on and on. Yet......

They all came back. They keep coming back.

Im sick of hearing about someone quitting, when everyone knows they most likely arent.

That said, i do think Jack is the best of all time so far. Hogan is a close 2nd. Tiger still has some years to put in.

b

Michael Davis
04-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Maybe this works for individual sports, but I totally disagree with this line of thinking when it comes to team sports.

Most fans want players to retire somewhere near the end of their peak years, for purposes of legend. This is crap. If a player can still contribute, if he deserves a roster spot in the league, he should play until he can't anymore.

I barely remember that Michael Jordan played for the Wizards, or George Gervin the Bulls.

-Michael

scalf
04-28-2004, 08:46 PM
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif just one question?? andy..??

is wmart a champion??

don't they keep trying to find ways to be the best low cost provider; much in the same way jack unfairly took advantage of his competitors by working harder, trying new things, and just plain hanging in their against the fans who felt he had cheated arnie and ruined the game...

who is john galt???

why do we admire an individual who works hard and is a winner...; but tear down a company that is very competitive.,, but avtually performs a significant step forward in providinf usefull products to real people in the real world..

andy; it seems to me that you can check-raise your granny at poker, play a boy's game to perfection...and be a hero...perform a significant advance in merchandising...you are a chump...

long live freedom..

be free to choose..

gl /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Duke
04-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Who provides you with your crack?

~D

andyfox
04-29-2004, 02:22 AM
Wal-Mart is the retailing champion of all-time; there's no company every been close.

Who is tearing them down? They've been voted the most admired American corporation several times. If some communities have tried to keep them out, it certainly hasn't hurt Wal-Mart in terms of sales or profits.

Who ever said Jack cheated Arnie? Who ever said he ruined the game? His battles with Arnie are what made the game.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Yet I'm old enough to remember the pathetic sight that was Willie Mays when he hung around too long. He may have been the greatest all-around player to ever play the game (yes, I know Ruth pitched, too, but Mays had more non-pitching tools), yet in the end, he was a shell of his former self.

Jordan could still play better than half the league at the end. Mays couldn't. It was sad.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Joe DiMaggio quit when he couldn't play his best anymore.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Different goals, I suppose

Exactly. Tiger Woods wants to be the greatest golfer of all time. Phil Michelson is happy making a good living, betting sports and enjoying his life.

De gustabus non est dispudatem

andyfox
04-29-2004, 12:25 PM
You'd quite too, if Marilyn Monroe was waiting for you at home. /images/graemlins/wink.gif