PDA

View Full Version : AQ early position hand. How was this played for all 3?

jedi
04-28-2004, 02:04 AM
B&M 3-6 Hold EM hand. 8 handed.

I'm UTG+1 with AQo.

UTG folds and I raise. Good player folds, calling station calls, calling station/fish/jerk calls, Button folds, Small blind (tight somewhat passive) calls, Big Blind (tight, very passive) calls.

Flop QT6 rainbow.

Checked to me, and I bet. First calling station folds and everyone else calls.

Turn: Jack.

BB checks, I bet. Fish/Jerk calls, Small Blind calls, Big Blind Raises. I pause to think and figure that I'm up against a straight so I fold. BB has been fairly passive, so the check raise into 3 players is probably strong. Fish/Jerk calls, SB folds.

How was my turn play here? The pot is big, and Majorkong likes to talk about being agressive in big pots but I just didn't have a good feeling about this one. There are many hands that can beat me and at this point, All I have is TPTK on a board with 3 cards in the playing zone

River 8

BB leads out, fish calls.

How was this played all around? I guess it's tough to evaluate that without seeing the results:

Results:
BB had QT for flopped 2 pair.
Jerk had 94s for a straight.

Of course, BB is pissed. I say "Tough break" and he replies "well, I wouldn't care if it was anyone else, but he's (jerk) and [censored]." Well fireworks start to form up. I only wish I had more time to take advantage of the situation but I had to leave a few hands later.

Clarkmeister
04-28-2004, 02:22 AM
The problem is you are getting 12-1 and you have 4 nut outs. Now that doesn't mean that folding is wrong, as you will sometimes be drawing to half the pot, but that is offset by the times (like this) where you actually have far more than 4 outs.

jedi
04-28-2004, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is you are getting 12-1 and you have 4 nut outs. Now that doesn't mean that folding is wrong, as you will sometimes be drawing to half the pot, but that is offset by the times (like this) where you actually have far more than 4 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, when I was playing the hand, I didn't really think about this as much as I should have. I was trying to read the other player so hard that I didn't even consider that I had at least 4 nut outs. Sigh....

Ed Miller
04-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Hmmm, when I was playing the hand, I didn't really think about this as much as I should have. I was trying to read the other player so hard that I didn't even consider that I had at least 4 nut outs. Sigh....

This is not intended at all as an "I told you so," but I think this is a chronic problem on these forums (and in general). Hand after hand people fold in big pots because they do not count all their outs correctly.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record a little bit, but I have really tried to emphasize counting ALL your outs correctly in my book, and I give some common examples of places where people miscount.

The first thing you should do when you get raised is BRAINSTORM. Think of EVERY POSSIBLE CARD that could make you a winner. Then decide how good each of those outs is.

jedi
04-28-2004, 11:02 AM
How did BB play this? If I were in his shoes, I probably would have check-raised the flop. Once the turn comes, if I had AK, he's been beat by the straight already. How did he play this?

And with the fish/jerk calling all the way, when should he have folded?

Chaos_ult
04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
This is very good advice. I seem to have a harder time concentrating in B&M cardrooms than I do online.

Side note: Any idea when your book is going to be finished/published?

Regards,

Matt

Clarkmeister
04-28-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any idea when your book is going to be finished/published?

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as he can rip himself away from the UNLV hotties that hang out in the coffee shop he writes in. Distractions, distractions, distractions. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bob T.
04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder why he keeps going to this coffee shop if he is always distracted /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

Clarkmeister
04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I wonder why he keeps going to this coffee shop if he is always distracted /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they invite him to parties. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quackpot
04-28-2004, 08:19 PM
This is certainly a problem I have. How do you count outs when you have AQ and the flop comes like this one did? Do you count it as 5? Can you even count the As as outs? Do you count the Ks and Js as an out? i.e. K+J = 1 out, or 4 outs, not as 8 outs. Once the J falls you have only 4 outs for sure.