PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drink the water in Las Vegas?

Ed I
04-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Drought forces Las Vegas to reach deeper for water

Remember shoving your straw deeper into a pop bottle to slurp out those elusive last drops? Faced with the fifth year of drought, the Southern Nevada Water Authority plans to do something similar in Lake Mead, which supplies drinking water to Las Vegas and surrounding areas. Water officials are hurrying to extend an intake pipe another 50 feet into the shrinking reservoir.

Lake Mead has dropped to about 58 percent of its capacity- the lowest its been since 1969. The Water Authority's intakes now pull in the warmer, less pure water near the top of the reservoir,rather than the clean,cold water down deep. Although the treated water still meets health standards,its more expensive to produce because warmer water contains more organic matter. During disinfection,these organic particles react with chlorine to form trihalomethanes,which can cause miscarriages,liver problems and cancer.

High Country News 4/26/04

M2d
04-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Every fall, some buddys and I go to vegas for the fall striper bite on lake mead. every year, it's unrecognizable because the water gets lower and lower, and the terrain changes so much. Last year, the boat docks that were temporary the year before (due to the falling water leaving the permanent ones high and dry) were, themselves, high and dry.

youtalkfunny
04-28-2004, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I go to vegas for the fall striper bite on lake mead.

[/ QUOTE ]
You bite strippers?

M2d
04-28-2004, 01:56 AM
one p, buddy. learn to read something other than a hold-em board /images/graemlins/wink.gif