PDA

View Full Version : AJo UTG 6-Handed

kem
04-27-2004, 10:32 PM
I should preface this by saying that I'm relatively new to poker and this forum, but would like some feedback. I was playing a 0.5/1 Party table this evening, and very quickly it dropped from 10 players to 6. I hadn't been at the table long, and didn't have a good read on anyone [not that I'm confident in my reads had I been there longer though.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif ] I had played only a few hands at the table before this one, and had taken down only one pot (and did now have to show my cards). When it dropped to 6 players, I folded folded folded, until getting AJo UTG...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (7 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB, BB and Hero.

<font color="#000000">Any comments are appreciated.

illunious
04-27-2004, 10:37 PM
I would bet the turn, but the check behind is not bad. You adjusted to the table conditions and I think you played the hand fine.

kem
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn, but the check behind is not bad. You adjusted to the table conditions and I think you played the hand fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.. I thought I played it okay, but wasn't too confident, especially about my raise on the flop when I had only ace high. The story ends well though, as they both turned over Q-rag, and I took down the pot..

Sarge85
04-28-2004, 03:24 PM
I think the flop raise was a bad move...

A gut shot draw, with only one overcard (which may or may not be good), against a paired board (that is connected), you were the PF raiser, but they still saw fit to bet into you.

Nope - don't like it all....

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ZootMurph
04-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Preflop: Even in a short handed game, I hate the AJo raise UTG. So far, it seems I'm the only one though...

Flop: Unless you think you will win the hand right there, which you won't since someone bet ahead of you, raising with a probable 4 outs (and you may still be beat with a full house) isn't really a good choice. I'd call here, as you have implied odds.

Turn: Your outs just increased, and there is a small chance you have the best hand. When it is checked to you... bet! Call a check/raise.

River: Checked to you again... you are either against a King with a weak kicker, or you are winning. Good bet.

Outcome... I think both show two pair, Ks &amp; Qs, and YHIG.

kem
04-28-2004, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop raise was a bad move...

A gut shot draw, with only one overcard (which may or may not be good), against a paired board (that is connected), you were the PF raiser, but they still saw fit to bet into you.

Nope - don't like it all....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn't get a pre-flop re-raise.. and raising on the flop will very easily tell me where I stand. If I'm re-raised, I know I'm facing a K and it's an easy fold. If they just call (as they did), then I'm thinking it isn't a K, so maybe 7 outs or more..

kem
04-28-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Even in a short handed game, I hate the AJo raise UTG. So far, it seems I'm the only one though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I debated it.. if it were 10-handed, I would have folded or limped. I knew I needed to get more aggressive for a 6-handed game, and chose to raise. Obviously I wasn't comfortable with the way I played, hence the post..

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Unless you think you will win the hand right there, which you won't since someone bet ahead of you, raising with a probable 4 outs (and you may still be beat with a full house) isn't really a good choice. I'd call here, as you have implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about raising for info? If I get re-raised, I know I'm facing a K, and should fold. Otherwise, I'm thinking that at best I'm facing a Q, which gives me 7 outs (4 to the straight, 3 Aces).. Plus I get the possibility of a free card later.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Your outs just increased, and there is a small chance you have the best hand. When it is checked to you... bet! Call a check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I debated this move the most. I figured that if I had them beat, a bet here might make them fold.. but if I waited until the river to bet, I might disguise my aces and get more bets. This would have backfired if they had caught another Q on the river though..

bakku
04-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Wow, and I thought I played tight. I raise AJo UTG at most 10-handed tables

illunious
04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I like the flop raise because there is a good possibility you have 4, 7, 10, 42 outs vs SB. I like to play much more aggressive when .5/1 gets shorthanded. I think a 10 or 42 out hand is a good possibility. Maybe you'll get it heads up, maybe you'll get a free river and showdown.

I also think raising or calling the flop are both good options. The only wrong thing to do is fold.

Preflop, if you do not feel comfortable raising AJo UTG at a full table, folding is +EV. 3 off the button, first or second in, this should be an easy raise.