PDA

View Full Version : Building a bankroll vs. Paying yourself

James Boston
04-27-2004, 05:15 PM
This is a pretty generic question, but I'd like to hear what some of the mid-limit pros like Clarkmeister, Dynasty, etc, have to say.

When trying to build a bankroll, what is the best way to pay yourself, while still adding to your bankroll for higher limits. I'm still a low-limit player, and won't be moving up for a while, but it's hard for me not to enjoy the money I win. As a consequence (along with taking some stupid stabs at limits I really can't afford, and running cold) my bankroll never really grows. My wins just look like extra money to pay bills, not means to a bigger bankroll. Just curious how others approach this.

Spyder
04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I just moved up to 2/4 and am wondering the same thing.

Essentially, what I'm planning is to keep the profits until I make my 300 bb requirement for this level, and then weekly, pay myself half of my profits and roll the other half into my bankroll for the next level.

Spyder

Roy Munson
04-27-2004, 06:03 PM
This question illustrates why poker for most people is a great supplement to a full time job.

Having a steady job allows a player to build their bankroll by not cashing in winnings. As you move up in limits and gain the requisite skill and experience your bankroll will increase much faster than at the lower limits.

Because of rake considerations it is in most players best interests to move up as soon as possible. Constantly cashing out will slow bankroll growth considerably.

george w of poker
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
isn't this an easy answer? if you don't need the money don't cash it out. you're basically asking how you can get more self discipline to not spend your bankroll. obviously the bigger your bankroll grows the more money you will make.

personally i'm cashing it all out because i'm going to vegas tomorrow. i've been having dreams lately with lots of red objects in them. either i've seen American Beauty too many times or someone is telling me to bet it all on red. i'm going with the latter.

wish me luck

1800GAMBLER
04-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Most passionate learners (i.e. most here) should try to keep as much in their bankroll as possible. Your bankroll is an investment in poker.

At the moment with online poker, moving up in stakes for most 2+2ers should be an important goal.

J.A.Sucker
04-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Well, a pro has got to eat, so a good chunk of profits goes to expenses. For you, it doesn't really matter. If you want to spend it, then go ahead. If you want to save it, don't. The whole concept of "bankroll" is an artificial one for those with significant non-poker income. If you're playing 6-12 and have any kind of job, I think that you can always scrape together the 300 bucks to buy in for a decent session. If you're playing smaller online games, then this is even more so the case. Enjoy yourself; life's to short to be a nit.

moondogg
04-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Double and half.
Everytime you double your bankroll, withdraw half of the increase. For example, if you have $200, play until you have $400, and withdraw $100. Put that $100 in another "removed" savings account (like ING direct). When the overflow in that account gets big, buy some absurd luxury with it; you earned it. Or, invest it.

This way:
- You keep building your bankroll
- You keep drawing a profit from the system
- The amount of profit is doubling each time.
- The profit does not "disappear" into you regular saving and spending. You can see a real growth of money, more liquid than your bankroll. (Helps if you have a girl who doesn't believe you're a winner, buy here some ice with your winnings).
- Interest on the savings account. If you get a few grand, yes, it will be a worthwhile amount.
- Most importantly, discipline. Yes, it will slow your bankroll growth, but you don't need to move up now, and you're paying your dues. It's not the quick-buck approach, it slow and steady. It can keep you from moving up too quickly.

I found it helps to have a plan. If you are not tracking it, it will stagnate, or worse, it will disappear. I used to withdraw some here, some there, transfer between sites, add some back in. When people asked, I had to say "Uhh, I think I'm ahead this year". Sounds essentially the same as "I'm such an f'n degenerate gambler that I can't stand to seriously look at my wins and losses". Treat it as a income investment.
Then, read "The Millionare Next Door".

nykenny
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy yourself; life's to short to be a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put. now let me tell this too all my fishes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dynasty
04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When trying to build a bankroll, what is the best way to pay yourself, while still adding to your bankroll for higher limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should set a goal. Let's say you want to start playing 10-20 in six months and want a bankroll of $6,000 when you start. If you're current bankroll is $3,000, you can put $500 of your winnings each month towards increasing your bankroll. The rest of the money you can spend on whatever you want.

CrackerZack
04-28-2004, 04:23 PM
tell it to whoever you want. I've never really been a bankroll guy. Maybe I should be but why bother. The only reason I have for bankroll management is the lack of desire to buy back in online.

The Bear
04-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Building a bankroll for a winning, non-professional should be ridiculously easy. It's very simple: STOP PULLING MONEY FROM IT.

You need to view your bankroll as an investment in yourself. By not removing money, you are investing for the future, when you can play higher limits and get a greater absolute return.

This is particularly important when you are moving up from the low-limits, because when you pull a few hundred dollars off of a 4/8 bankroll, it takes a lot more work to get it back than if you were pulling a few hundred off of a 10/20 bankroll.

My suggestion is that you work your ass off until you you get to a limit where you can make some real money playing poker (let's call that 10/20). Once you're there, then you can pull money off from time to time. Until that happens, try to leave your roll untouched and think about the future. The reward will be well worth the effort.

The Bear

Philuva
04-28-2004, 06:37 PM
That is what I dedcided to do last year. Every dollar went back into my bankroll until it reached a level that I was pretty much comfortable playing at any limit available to me (around 40-80). Now anything I make on top of that amount is treated like additional income that I can use just like my income from my full time job. It is also a comfortable amount of money, that if I quit my job, I would be able to play comfortably for a living and not have to sweat out any losing streaks from an income perspective.

rusty JEDI
04-28-2004, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
along with taking some stupid stabs at limits I really can't afford, and running cold

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this statement you make troublesome. But, that all depends on if im reading it wrong or not.

If you mean it as two seperate issues, one being bad stabs at moving up and the other being running cold then you are okay.

But, if you are implying that everytime you move up you just happen to run cold then you are in trouble. If this is the case you are blaming running bad when in reality you probably are not ready for the higher games.

rJ