PDA

View Full Version : VP$IP

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 01:24 PM
What's a good VP$IP for $0.50/$1.00?

Mine's at 13.54, and I'm thinking that may be too tight.

MortalNuts
04-27-2004, 01:36 PM
mother of god, that's tight for 0.5/1. admittedly it's at stars, but still.

in that game, mine's like 18%, for what it's worth. and I could still probably play a few more hands if I wasn't such a girly-man.

cheers,
mn

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I am definitely thinking that I'm way too tight for this game. Whenever I play on Empire (which I don't do often), I find myself thinking I'm losing a lot of money by not playing enough hands. I guess I'll have to start loosening up just a bit especially since I'm thinking about switching to Empire.

sthief09
04-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I only have 5k hands at .5/1, but my VP$IP was 21.68 and my PFR was 10.41

TheRake
04-27-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only have 5k hands at .5/1, but my VP$IP was 21.68 and my PFR was 10.41

[/ QUOTE ]

LAG!

TheRake

DoctorDrew
04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's a good VP$IP for $0.50/$1.00?

Mine's at 13.54, and I'm thinking that may be too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I quote, "Good Lord! Do you keep a feather duster handy to clean off your chips when you decide to play a hand?"

Zetack
04-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't know that its out of line...what do you want to add that you aren't playing now?

You'll rarely be in a position to play low pairs, A-x suited, K-x suited. Ya gotta dump hands like K-Jo to a raise and think long and hard about whether to play them early. A-10o you may not want to play...like I say, what are you gonna add in that typical game?

Sometimes it loosens up for a while and you can too, but I'd be pretty wary of, Gee I'm not playing a lot of hands I should find some more to play...

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 01:53 PM
If he is LAG, I'd believe he's a profitable one. From reading his posts, he has a better grasp of this game than the majority of posters at the Micro level. I'd suspect his postflop game is probably pretty solid.

Then again, if you suck sthief09, please correct me.

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you keep a feather duster handy to clean off your chips

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand-held Hoover.

My PFR is 8.51, so when I do play, I do throw the chips around. I find Pokerstars players are a little more observant then their Party/Empire counterparts, so this allows to me raise with low PP and SC hands every once in awhile to steal the blinds.

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Well the thing is I rarely play suited connectors or AXs type hands. I also throw out a lot of low PP. These are hands that I'm going to want to play at Party/Empire, since I believe they're the ones that take down the big pots.

DoctorDrew
04-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Honestly I do think that is a little tight. Perhaps it is the cards, but maybe there are some opportunities you are letting slip by.

I had seen someone post that exact response to a similar question a few months ago and I was LMAO. I was hoping to get to repeat it some day. Thanks.

Then again I can be a hyper-aggressive lunatic. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MortalNuts
04-27-2004, 02:18 PM
I should mention that even though in general you shouldn't need a ton of hands to get a good estimate of your VP$IP (as opposed to say your BB/100), that game kinda necessitates a somewhat larger sample than usual. That is, if the numbers you're quoting are based on only a couple thousand hands or something, you might have just encountered lousy game conditions for a while.

What I mean is that sometimes basically every pot in that game is raised, and most pots are contested heads-up or 3-way; other nights you can see 5 or 6 people to the flop for a single bet. Obviously you can play a lot more hands in the latter case. I do think the game conditions change a lot more there than at the other places I've played, which are generally more consistently either good games or bad ones.

if your sample was ALL from the "every pot raised, contested heads-up" set of games, your numbers probably wouldn't be that out of line. As Zetack said, you don't want to be playing A2s in EP in that kind of game.

cheers,

mn

PokerBob
04-27-2004, 02:56 PM
This may indeed be LAG, (my VP$IP is about 19.5, and I'm a fish. /images/graemlins/grin.gif) But I suspect sthief09 knows when to get away from a hand post-flop, which most TRUE LAGS are unable to do.

StellarWind
04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
You appear to be too tight for 0.5/1 based on your numbers.

Enough with the numbers. I challenge you to come up with five specific hands of different types that you don't play but think are sort of close. Be sure to describe the seat, number of limpers, game conditions, etc. For example:

"K8s from cutoff with two EP limpers in a loose/typical game."

Then we can see how you play and make concrete suggestions. Let me mention in passing that many players play both too many and too few hands at the same time. Even though you are tight overall, there could be some turkeys hiding in that 13%.

Ralph Wiggum
04-27-2004, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You appear to be too tight for 0.5/1 based on your numbers.

Enough with the numbers. I challenge you to come up with five specific hands of different types that you don't play but think are sort of close. Be sure to describe the seat, number of limpers, game conditions, etc. For example:

"K8s from cutoff with two EP limpers in a loose/typical game."

Then we can see how you play and make concrete suggestions. Let me mention in passing that many players play both too many and too few hands at the same time. Even though you are tight overall, there could be some turkeys hiding in that 13%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'll take your challenge and I'll start with your example of K8s /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I wouldn't play that.

I wouldn't play A6s with only 1 limper to me in the CO.

I wouldn't play ATo in the SB with 2+ limpers. I would raise it if there was only 1 limper though.

I wouldn't play 98s on the button with only 2 limpers.

I wouldn't play 33 on the button with only 2 limpers.

Seeing how I wouldn't play these hands in LP, I'd probably also fold them in any earlier position. Everyone once in awhile (every blue moon), if I do choose to play these hands, I'll raise with them. This is usually due to me folding a couple of orbits, and whenever I raise I get too much respect (table folds), and/or I've been consistently going to showdown with killer hands. I find I win with a lot of semi-bluffs because when I do play I'm very aggressive, and people know I tend to have a good hand. So I've raised with 22 UTG, and the table folds.

kiemo
04-27-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well I'll take your challenge and I'll start with your example of K8s /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I wouldn't play that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play it with 2 limpers. Raise it if I think I will get the button and get rid of at least one of the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't play A6s with only 1 limper to me in the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play and raise it

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't play ATo in the SB with 2+ limpers. I would raise it if there was only 1 limper though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play and raise it

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't play 98s on the button with only 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muck

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't play 33 on the button with only 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably come in for raise with this one.

I am bit looser though then others at 21%.

TheRake
04-27-2004, 04:46 PM
I was being sarcastic. SThief's numbers are fine. here are my numbers. Maybe a bit to tight and a bit to weak, but not to bad. I pretty much have the same numbers at all levels (.5/1 thru 2/4).

Vpip = ~16%
pfr = ~8%

Don't have poker tracker here at work, but these are close.

TheRake

Sam T.
04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the thing is I rarely play suited connectors or AXs type hands. I also throw out a lot of low PP. These are hands that I'm going to want to play at Party/Empire, since I believe they're the ones that take down the big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found these hands to be pretty profitable at .50/1.00, but only if with disciplined post-flop play. The key is to get away from a flop that doesn't clobber you. When I'm playing bad poker (which I am right now) I'll play Axs if an ace falls on the flop, and lose on the kicker.

StellarWind
04-27-2004, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm playing bad poker (which I am right now) I'll play Axs if an ace falls on the flop, and lose on the kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This topic has come up before.

You absolutely cannot be +EV playing Axs only for flush draws and other big flops. When all you flop is an ace you need to try to make some money out of your top pair. This requires skill and discretion but the possibility of top pair of aces is an important source of profit.

The trick is to know when to push it and when to run away. We all get practice playing this hand out of the BB. I suggest that one should not experiment with Axs from EP until one feels comfortable with the pair of aces out-of-position.