PDA

View Full Version : burnt out

M2d
04-27-2004, 12:03 PM
I was unemployed for much of last year, and played full-ish time for about nine months. I did well, and made money, but, I've found, since I started my new job a couple of months ago, that I have absolutely no desire to go play cards. Haven't even stepped foot in a card room since I started.
Where, I was once a full time worker and two night a week card player, I'm not a no night a week cardplayer. I think the toll of knowing I had to win kind of took some joy out of playing.
I've started playing some online. mostly small NL games and a bunch of sng's. just to whet my appetite, so to speak. Beyond that, though, I'd rather hang out with my wife, go fishing, or grow my eggplant and tomato plants. very stratnge, indeed.

I'm sure I'll get over this lack of desire eventually, and get back into the cardroom, but I thought it would have happened by now. Anyone have any insight into this?
BTW, I've been a 25/hr winner in the 15 games around the bay area for a few years now, so it's not an epiphany that my money is better spent elsewhere that is driving this.

J.R.
04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
I'd rather hang out with my wife... very strange, indeed.

Yup.

Just kidding. Life's too short not to have fun! Cards will always be there. Playing limit hold'em can be a rote exercise, especially when played for the same stakes at the same place with the same usual suspects.

J.A.Sucker
04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Good for you. I'm really in the same boat as far as live poker goes. I've been to the card shack twice in a 5 weeks. I just don't really care to play right now, though I will play online for an hour a night before bed. Enjoy yourself; the games will always be there, though the wife, fish, and the eggplant may not.

JimRivett
04-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I've been playing poker for over 30 years now with many, many breaks. I've noticed that my enthusiam for poker has started to wain lately, perhaps because of a large landscaping project I have planned for my back yard.

I think spending time with your wife and family is a great pasttime, one which you never have to explain. Enjoy yourself the game will always be there.

Regards, Jim

M2d
04-27-2004, 12:47 PM
I can't stand eggplant. I decided to grow a few plants because my wife really like them and i had a few spare feet in the garden. Then, my original batch of seeds sucked (I think they were old) and didn't sprout, so was suddenly on a mission with them. All for a vegetable that I don't eat.

J.A.Sucker
04-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I hate eggplant, too, but I understand the drive to achieve in the face of Mother Nature giving you the finger. I deal with that reality every day of my life as a chemist. I usually lose the battle horribly, BTW, though sometimes I get lucky.

As for the eggplant, I think you should allow one big one to get really ripe and go Gallagher on its ass. While watching some balding hippie smash things isn't funny, doing it yourself surely is.

SossMan
04-27-2004, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While watching some balding hippie smash things isn't funny, doing it yourself surely is.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's really not funny at all, is he. On the other hand, he sure thinks he is.

offTopic
04-27-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand eggplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not odd at all. Eggplant is nasty.

However, Baigan Bartha is good (if you like Indian food).

Baigan Bartha recipe (http://www.kitchenlink.com/cgi/msgbrd/msg_script.pl?printer=1&board=3&p_thread=6987)

M2d
04-27-2004, 07:29 PM
you know the real +EV thing about the eggplant? no more side trips too the supermarket just for eggplant when I'm bar-b-q-ing and my wife says "you know, grilled veggies would be really nice..."

Ray Zee
04-27-2004, 10:13 PM
eggplant is great. seeds dont keep unless you store at 40 to 50 degees. and even then they may not be best. besides dont you hawaii guys have more experience with other crops.

M2d
04-27-2004, 11:42 PM
those seeds are gold, too, but I don't have the proper foliage cover that's needed to keep jealous competitors from spotting my crop from the sky.

Schmed
04-28-2004, 12:26 AM
well he did say he gave up a "little spot" in the garden /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
04-28-2004, 01:57 AM
used to live in a location that had this restaurant where they made truly outstanding eggplant lasagna.
yum.
and pretty nutritious too.

never knew i liked eggplant until i tried that eggplant lasagna.

youtalkfunny
04-28-2004, 02:06 AM
When my mother would fry the eggplant, my father and I had to leave the house. It smelled SO GOOD. I don't think I've ever enjoyed the SMELL of food cooking more.

But we can't stand eggplant. It drove us nuts, to smell something that good, that we couldn't eat.

Sincere
04-28-2004, 02:15 AM
When I was in college, we use to have a different meaning for the phrase burnt out!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather hang out with my wife, go fishing, or grow my eggplant and tomato plants. very stratnge, indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a serious note, I can say I feel the same way. I still play a couple nights a week, but I can honestly say my passion for poker has sub-sided into other passions for fishing, golf, and Play-Station 2 games and I'm a winning player at almost $9/hr over a 7 year period! Maybe I've lost my mind I don't know?

Bob T.
05-08-2004, 03:52 PM
You like challenges, don't you.

Good luck with the eggplant.

Bob T.