PDA

View Full Version : 77 bet the turn? Yikes...

06-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Okay, took some shit for this one (but made up for it later). I'm rolling at $6-$12 and raise with 77 on the button. 5 Callers from various positions:

Flop: 346. Checked to me and I bet, all call.

Turn: [346]2 Checked to me. I, um, er, ah, argh, check. Why? With 5 players and everyone calling on the flop, someone has a 5, right? I have outs if a 5 comes, so why bet and get checkraised (little voice inside my head: "You woman!")

River: [3462]8. Checked to me, I bet, fool has J8 and wins, bigger fool tossses 77 for a loser.

So, insults aside, should you bet the turn when the board has a 4-card straight but you still have outs?

PS -- To make up for this, later I had AJ in the BB, live straddle, all call.

Flop: AKJ (two spades). I check my two pair, good player bets, all call.

Turn: [AKJ]3 (still two spades). I check, he bets, three call, I raise, he makes it 3 bets, all fold. I call.

River: [AKJ3]6s - (three spades now). I bet into him. He thinks and mucks but shows his cards, an AJ!!! Same as my hand. Nearly a $150 pot. Can't believe he laid it down. There must be a middle ground somewhere between discipline and stupidity, I just haven't found it yet. lol...

06-07-2002, 11:31 PM
I'd have the same check-raise fear but would bet it. If you do get check-raised you can be very sure of where you're at. And you could seriously consider folding because you probably have three outs which will only give you a split. The chances of running into a semi-bluff check-raise is slim here. The cost is the same as a check the turn/call on the river play, and much stronger (hey, just might make over cards fold, right).

I guess I like a bet here because it takes most of the guess work out of the rest of the hand.

OneTime

06-08-2002, 12:22 AM
dont be so hard on yourself, he may have called your turn bet anyway.. why did he call the flop with 2 small overcards?

b

06-08-2002, 02:31 AM
good point. btw: i won $743 at $6-$12 today playing for 5 hours.

06-08-2002, 02:32 AM
methinks you're right. i shouldn't fear a semi-bluff with this many people in. and the overcard idiot who won probably would have folded to boot. next time...grrr

06-08-2002, 02:44 AM

06-08-2002, 08:06 AM
Bet the turn. You have 6 outs, you're on the button, raised PF, led on the flop, everybody checked to you, what are you afraid of? Your opponents should fear that either you have a big pair or maybe even A5s. You could have won right here. Then bet the river.

06-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Your question should be: Do you bet the board with a 4 straight but your hand appears to still be best?

Ummmmm, yes!

06-08-2002, 11:38 AM

06-08-2002, 04:21 PM
I would of checked the turn. You may not be beaten but I can assure you will be the majority of the time, so I think a check is in order.